Roosters that do not crow

Hello. I have an ameraucana rooster of unknown age that will not crow and will not mate the ladies. When he approaches them if they so much as look at him he runs the other way. I've seen him open his mouth a few times and nothing has come out so Mabye he was attempting to.crow? Is this something he will grow out of?

Last edited:
I have 3 Salmon Faverolle roosters and all three of them are very quiet. All my other roosters crow especially the Americanas.

I have a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte rooster, along with a BLRW hen and Leghorn mix hen. The roo is 8-9 months old. We've had the three of them for 11 days. The rooster has never crowed, and is the quietest of all three. I'm wondering if he will ever crow.

I have a five month old rooster that simple does not crow, or, I ought to say, to date, has not crowed. Not even a tiny, little, practice, "er, er, errr" and I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced a rooster that just does not express himself in that way. He has been very active in boinking the hens and being protective with them... i.e. he appears to be a manly fellow, but, no crow... I'm not complaining mind you, I figure it will happen sooner or later, right?? Usually one finds out they've got a rooster at 3-4 months because they're practice crowing), but I have never experienced a full grown rooster with no vocalization. Anyone??

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 22
First thing is your rooster is gorgeous.
Second thing is I too have a rooster that isn't crowing. I was told it's because I already have two roosters ( Mr. Rooster 3-4 yrs old, RIR and Roo 6 1/2 month old, BO). Roo is just attempting to crow while Boo ( same age as Roo, EE) is just content with free ranging. Roo is attempting to boink the females but Mr. Rooster isn't having it.
IMG_20170726_093620.jpg

There's a pic of Boo and Roo.

Thank you, yes, I, too, think he is a rather handsome fellow :). I would LOVE to keep him, and should he decide to stay silent, I will keep him... however, I don't anticipate that happening as, well, roosters, in all my experience, CROW, softly or LOUDLY, it's part of who they are, eh? I have no other roosters for him to contend with (although I do have two male Muscovy ducks, but???) I will keep him until he decides to vocalize, then, sadly, he's gotta go. I was just wondering (and feeling a little hopeful) if anyone has ever had a rooster that decided to never crow?

My mom & Dad have some chickens we gave them last year. Because of zoning regulations, they can't have any roosters. They got some crazy idea that having a roo around makes the girls lay more eggs!
So they put a life size plastic rooster in there with the hens. It looked so real the first time I ever saw it.
The last time I saw it, the sun and heat took away the pretty factory finish plus the hens pecked the heck out of him. It was looking rough.
In told mom.. Your rooster still ain't crowing and now he looks like the ladies wore him to death!
:lau
I guess you had to be there!

My mom & Dad have some chickens we gave them last year. Because of zoning regulations, they can't have any roosters. They got some crazy idea that having a roo around makes the girls lay more eggs!
So they put a life size plastic rooster in there with the hens. It looked so real the first time I ever saw it.
The last time I saw it, the sun and heat took away the pretty factory finish plus the hens pecked the heck out of him. It was looking rough.
In told mom.. Your rooster still ain't crowing and now he looks like the ladies wore him to death!
:lau
I guess you had to be there!
No, I can picture that! Maybe the girls 'hen pecked' him because they couldn't get him to, um, do his job?? hahahahahahahahaha, too funny :)

Back
Top Bottom