Roosterwith frostbite!

NewHopePoultry

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Troy,Missouri
For the past 2 weeks my brother has been caring for my pets, or so I thought.
I came home today and found my rooster had been attacked and was laying alive in the yard. He also has really bad frostbite. His comb is black and some has fall off. His waddle is also black.
Is there anything I can do for my baby?

Whatever got him didnt hurt him too bad, he has a feel deep bite marks in his back and neck, but nothing that cant be healed. I"m moe worried about the frost bite.

Yeah. I would maybe do that as necessary until you see healing (I would imagine new pink or red skin). Be advised that some of the frostbit area may fall off. I've never had any birds get frostbit, but that is what I read to do. Sorry for your poor roo. I bet he's glad you are home!

Some areas have already fallen off.My borther didnt put him up at night and it got pretty cold here. His comb is black and missing several peices.

I think he must of got attacked last night or this morning. He was stil bleeding and it looked fresh.

Have you brought him inside to get warm? I would do that too. You can try to warm the areas up with warm (not hot) water, but I'm not sure how much good that will do at this point. Keeping him warm and the area clean is probably the best you can do.

Sounds like he had a rough night.
sad.png

I would imagine the missing areas could grow back? I don't know, but at least it wasn't his feet that got frostbit.

I've already brought him in. He is in a large box in my bathroom, since its really warm in there.

He isnt holding his head up very well. I'm worried about him.

Is he drinking water or eating? Just hanging his head?

Have you cleaned his wounds up or given him antibiotic for the puncture wounds? If a cat got him (by any chance) you'll need to give him antibiotic.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom