Roosting/sleeping on roof of the coop

... It's not 8x3. The 8x3 is a coop and a run. The COOP is this part I circled in red, which I am guessing is maybe 3x3. Simply put, too small for number of birds. I can give suggestions on how to improve and expand it if you're willing to put in some work on it.

View attachment 2286860

Yes, please. I have no problem putting in the work. I want my guys to have plenty of room and be happy and healthy. Thank you so much!

So to turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost lengthwise across the newly open space. With the number of birds you have that should be enough roost space.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, but I don't know how cold it gets in winter - though you also make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for hot and humid summers.

Think that's all of it... if I missed something let me know.

So to turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost lengthwise across the newly open space. With the number of birds you have that should be enough roost space.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, but I don't know how cold it gets in winter - though you also make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for hot and humid summers.

Think that's all of it... if I missed something let me know.

Thank you so much! I think I can do that with very little problems at all.

@rosemarythyme is right. The "coop" is the enclosed part, what you are calling the box. The "run" is the part enclosed by a fence.

I don't know what kinds of predators you have in your area, but if you have any, it will be a very good idea to think about preventing them from digging under to gain access to your girls. This can be done by laying fencing on the ground all around the run in what's called an "apron," a foot or two out and covering it with dirt or gravel. Also, chicken wire is very flimsy and does not keep raccoons, rats, snakes and other predators out. Hardware cloth (hc) is sturdier and better although it's a bear to work with. It is worth the effort and will save you much heartache. Enjoy the journey!

@rosemarythyme is right. The "coop" is the enclosed part, what you are calling the box. The "run" is the part enclosed by a fence.

I don't know what kinds of predators you have in your area, but if you have any, it will be a very good idea to think about preventing them from digging under to gain access to your girls. This can be done by laying fencing on the ground all around the run in what's called an "apron," a foot or two out and covering it with dirt or gravel. Also, chicken wire is very flimsy and does not keep raccoons, rats, snakes and other predators out. Hardware cloth (hc) is sturdier and better although it's a bear to work with. It is worth the effort and will save you much heartache. Enjoy the journey!

I've done that with the big 10 x 10 run. I will be doing that with the other one that I'm going to attach to it. I also have landscaping lumber to put on top of where I've buried the hardware cloth. You're right. It is a bear to work with, but everywhere I've researched said that it's the best to use.

I've done that with the big 10 x 10 run. I will be doing that with the other one that I'm going to attach to it. I also have landscaping lumber to put on top of where I've buried the hardware cloth. You're right. It is a bear to work with, but everywhere I've researched said that it's the best to use.
Sounds good! You're doing great! 😊 The only other thing I can think of to caution you about is a very serious disorder we chicken owners are subject to, called "Chicken Math." It is very contagious and I'm sorry to say you've already been exposed to it. There is no cure. .... basically it works like this: no matter how many chickens you have, or how many you decided to get, or how many you promised somebody (even yourself!) you would limit yourself to .... it won't be enough. You just have to have more. You think you'll only get one more, or maybe two, but then you find out there are minimums, and you come home with six. Or you order 12. Or you want to try another breed. Or you need a different color egg.... or you think you might like to try hatching. Or .... sigh. Don't say you weren't warned. Build bigger than you think you could possibly ever need. And start designing your next coop! 😆

Sounds good! You're doing great! 😊 The only other thing I can think of to caution you about is a very serious disorder we chicken owners are subject to, called "Chicken Math." It is very contagious and I'm sorry to say you've already been exposed to it. There is no cure. .... basically it works like this: no matter how many chickens you have, or how many you decided to get, or how many you promised somebody (even yourself!) you would limit yourself to .... it won't be enough. You just have to have more. You think you'll only get one more, or maybe two, but then you find out there are minimums, and you come home with six. Or you order 12. Or you want to try another breed. Or you need a different color egg.... or you think you might like to try hatching. Or .... sigh. Don't say you weren't warned. Build bigger than you think you could possibly ever need. And start designing your next coop! 😆
Tell me about it! My husband has started looking at other chickens. He is wanting to get some brahmas now. I told him I didn't have the room. He said, no problem. He is building a garage and is wanting to build another HUGE coop and run on the back of his garage.

Tell me about it! My husband has started looking at other chickens. He is wanting to get some brahmas now. I told him I didn't have the room. He said, no problem. He is building a garage and is wanting to build another HUGE coop and run on the back of his garage.
:lau ...and so it begins!

Back
Top Bottom