Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I know I have seen it somewhere.

I will have 3 roosts at the same level. I think recommendation is 12" away from wall and between each roost board so 36" wide with dropping board the same width?

Thanks!

I think you will want the droppings board to extend past all roosts so maybe 48".

Gosh that will be big. :th

You might have to clean it with something on a handle.......
If using sweet pdz a kitty litter scoop work well from what I have read.

I am building a Woods 10' by 16' KD (Knock Down) coop, layout is fixed. I can do two 10' roost boards (may be enough?) or let the poop fall where it may. Will have to think about this.
upload_2019-5-28_18-58-40.png

upload_2019-5-28_18-59-41.png

Actually this is interesting, when I copied the images I see that the dropping board does extend further that the roosts. Hmmmmmm...

@jthornton @Howard E @aart Any comments on this?

That is going to be one heck of a nice coop!

Doing a woods coop does kind of mean the roosts actually need to be where you have them placed in the drawing.

How many birds will you keep in there?
It sure can hold a lot!

Thank you! Build thread is here https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...by-16-coop-build.1304202/page-4#post-21402429

The coop itself will hold 40 birds.

My run will have two sections: one covered run adjacent of 12' by 12' and another under the coop (elevated 2' off the ground) of 10' by 16' so 144 + 160 square feet for a total of 304 square feet. Rule of thumb says this will hold 30 birds but I think overall the whole thing should take the 40 birds that the coop will hold.

I am thinking around 10 birds but everyone says chicken math, chicken math...

Thank you! Build thread is here https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...by-16-coop-build.1304202/page-4#post-21402429

The coop itself will hold 40 birds.

My run will have two sections: one covered run adjacent of 12' by 12' and another under the coop (elevated 2' off the ground) of 10' by 16' so 144 + 160 square feet for a total of 304 square feet. Rule of thumb says this will hold 30 birds but I think overall the whole thing should take the 40 birds that the coop will hold.

I am thinking around 10 birds but everyone says chicken math, chicken math...

Yes chicken math can be a bugger.

Recommended roost space is 1' per bird. Mine never fill he roosts but Do use the space when getting up on them. Wing flap room lol.

Back
Top Bottom