Rotational Graze Turkeys - frequency?

KHomestead

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2022
We have our turkeys in a tractor and move it to fresh ground every morning. Does anyone know how long we should wait until putting them back in a spot they've already been in order to avoid disease transmission? Are we talking days or weeks? I've been able to find that kind of information for ruminants, but not poultry, so I thought I'd ask here :)

We have our turkeys in a tractor and move it to fresh ground every morning. Does anyone know how long we should wait until putting them back in a spot they've already been in order to avoid disease transmission? Are we talking days or weeks? I've been able to find that kind of information for ruminants, but not poultry, so I thought I'd ask here :)
The only one that I am aware of is that blackhead can remain in the soil for 2 years.

Personally I let my turkeys free range on their own and do not use "tractors" for any poultry.

If your pens are well stocked, 1 time per year is ideal, 2 times per year is doable (spread as far as possible, ie several months). Any more frequent than that, and you will start running into problems. If your pens are sparse, you can get away with more frequent passes over the same spot.

In a temperate climate, more than 3 passes over the same spot in one year is getting into the danger zone. You can, essentially, over fertilize and burn your sod away pretty quickly. Ask me how I know ;)

I usually do turkeys in movable pasture netting in exaggeratively oversized spaces but I had a batch that was young and enclosed in a pretty small fence. Had a family emergency and left them for three days in one spot, left it with a solid blanket of turkey poop on it, and that patch took two and a half years to grow back in on it's own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom