Rotted log

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kassaundra, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I have looked and can't find an answer already written, but I admit I didn't look on all 392 pages [​IMG] I have a couple of tree logs that are mostly rotted and I'm sure full of cool bugs, but wasn't sure if it would be dangerous to put in the pen. I was thinking it would provide insects as well as hours of entertainment getting to the insects. Does anyone know if this will hurt them? [​IMG]

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Sounds like a great idea! Really, I see no downside. I have a log in my run for them to jump up on. They like getting high. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Glad I saw this, I have lots of old logs around here and I think our chickens would love that! Racuda-is that a westie in your avatar? I LOVE westies!

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yes! Westies are really special. That is his baby picture in my avatar, here he is last winter:

[​IMG]

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Your birds would thank you, if they could. [​IMG]

6. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    This sounds more like a job for woodpeckers. (Their beaks (not chicken beaks) are designed for this!) Still, I could see chickens scratching underneath the rotten logs for the bugs as well as roosting atop them and picking out snacks.

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:It would be fine, as long as there's nothing toxic in or on the tree.

8. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Don't have a rotted log but don't see a problem with it....my goal is when the firewood gets cut to get two or three good sized stumps to put in the runs...they DO love getting up high! The brooder aka a truck bed liner is still in the big run and all the chickens get up on it every morning to check out things outside thier run!

We can't get it out now that we put a top on it! So it stay and they have a up high place!

9. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    My birds free range in the forest.. They have very little grassy pasture, mostly forest floor. A log has to be pretty rotten for the birds to be able to work it good.. Once it is soft enough they will tear it apart. (Mine do wonders on old stumps and things.)
    ON

10. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Thanks for the answers, the log is very rotted, should be very easy to scratch at and tear up revealing many bugs. As far as toxic, it is just a log, have no idea what tree. I know it hasn't been sprayed w/ any chemicals at least in last 15 years (I am very allergic/asthma and our home/property is basically as chemical free as we can make it.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by