Rouen/Mallard

Broodica

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
Just out of curiosity since I might have a Rouen drake and 3 Mallard females. What happens if they cross? I understand Rouens are domesticated mallards, so.....Rallard? Mallouen? Same feathering, smaller size? Fertile?

Thanks!

I have one mut mix and he is a cross between a female mallard and a rouen drake and looks just like regular drake mallard. But i im pretty sure you can get almost all sizes with them. but they look just like regular mallard/rouen

Yup, they won't look any different, there will just be a variation in size between the two parents. They should average out roughly halfway between the two, but some will come out smaller like mallards, others larger like Rouens.

wild mallards of small size, if not consistently, selectively bred for small size will usually increase in size with future generations. thats why there are so many "mallards" out there that look like poor production rouens or mallard rouen crosses because of their size. the babies will look normal just about midsized between the parents.

46966_little_foot_10.jpg

46966_little_foot_08.jpg

that is my mallard/rouen cross. his or her name is little foot. he or she is my smallest duckie

Thanks guys. I figured they would be the same, just different sizes. Not sure we want to have ducklings, and were hoping to have 4 females, but we are getting an inkling that our Rouen is a male. Mind you he's only 2 weeks old.....just one of those gut things. My son is convinced!

Back
Top Bottom