Rough egg texture

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SliceOHeaven, Jan 22, 2014.

1. SliceOHeaven

SliceOHeaven Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi.. I have 3 out of 14 hens just starting to lay.. small to medium size, light brown. One, a Barred Rock is laying very
    light colored eggs..which have a rough exterior compared to another BR and a Black Os. who are also laying, but very smooth
    eggs.. Will this roughness change? They are being fed Flock Raiser, scratch and Layena (which they don't like)... snacks include
    squash, alfalfa hay , and corn tortillas (love 'em!)

Thanks for any input!

Shelley[​IMG]

2. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    After a while they will get to normal shape and size. beginner layers tend to lay wierd eggs at first. Every now and then you will still get rough eggs but they still taste the same.

3. SliceOHeaven

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks! Today that same hen laid one that was smooth on one side and rough on the other! LOL She also lays standing up! I got to see the whole process...She had scraped away all the straw and I thought the egg would crack on the plywood box.. but it didn't .. WHAT FUN that was to watch!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The roughness is just excess calcium. Nothing to worry about. And yes, hens stand up when they lay the egg. Glad you got to see it!

5. SliceOHeaven

Jul 18, 2013
    I do have oyster shell available to them.. will the egg eventually get smoother?
    Really? Chickens "stand to lay"? LOL Learn sm'thin new...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by