• Round!!

• Square!!

• Something else....

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bird_Lover_17

Birds are life
Apr 9, 2020
USA
Hello people who have animals that eat hay!
So, I know technically this should be on Backyard Herds (BYH) , but I do know that there are people here that also have goats/horses/cows/etc.
This is your typical round bale (the GIANT ones) and the tiny square bales. So, cast your votes and feel free to comment!

I forgot to add this in: I prefer square bales since:
1) I have dwarf goats
2) They are easier for me to cary
3) Easier for me to store
4) I don't need to deal with the hay needle attachment on the tractor *ugh*

Square. Most round bales around here are dusty and nasty. Lots of waste on the outside too. We have used them in a pinch in the past. Wrapped round bales are probably worth the extra price tag, but we haven't tried them.

Here we make our own hay in small square bales.

I choose round because the last bale of Hay I bought was round but it wasn't very large, about 4 feet high and 4 feet wide. I usually just buy from closest person advertising on Craigslist and I use it to feed rabbits so one bale goes a long way. Could be spring before I need a new one. Sometimes when I am out of straw I line coops with the hay.

Squares are much easier to manage. You can travel with them, and they are multi-species friendly. It's hard to find good quality round bales around here. Most farmers leave them outside. Horses absolutely love them though. If you can find nice clean, dry ones, the horses love to lay in them, scratch and rub on them. But then you run into waste because they drag half of the hay out on the ground and soil it.

Like others, square for the ease of handling. I can't imagine using round bales without the heavy equipment making it possible. And without a large cattle herd, I can't imagine needing large round bales. You don't want it to get wet before the animals have a chance to eat it. It will mold.
When I was young, we baled our own hay and I operated the mower, rake and square baler.
Back then, I never saw a round bale. I think it is a relatively new invention.

Back
Top Bottom