Round worms and chicks

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
I found a large round worm in someone's poop today and safeguard is on its way. My flock also has a few mama hens running around with their chicks, with ages ranging from 10 weeks old down to 1 week old. I haven't seen any posts on here talking about what to do with chicks in this situation. Thoughts?

@dawg53 has a lot of information here on worming, and I don’t think that chicks need to be wormed for the first month or two. He may chime in. How old are these chicks? Most likely, the worms are from the hens. You could worm the hens with Valbazen 0.5 ml (1/2 ml) orally for a 4-6 pound hen, and then repeat that in 10 days. That treats most worms except tapeworms. Some use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound given orally once and in 10 days for only roundworms. Give it for 5 consecutive days for most types of chicken worms except tapeworms. Most feed stores carry SafeGuard, while Valbazen might be easier to find online here:
https://www.jefferspet.com/valbazen-oral-suspension-500ml-w-cap/p
Shake well before drawing up into a syringe to give orally.

I found a large round worm in someone's poop today and safeguard is on its way. My flock also has a few mama hens running around with their chicks, with ages ranging from 10 weeks old down to 1 week old. I haven't seen any posts on here talking about what to do with chicks in this situation. Thoughts?
If the chicks are 6 weeks old and not in the brooder and on soil, worm them as well.

I always put some apple cider vinegar and some cyanne pepper in there too for my adult hens but it might be a little too strong and spicy for baby chicks.
Sorry, cayenne pepper wont treat worms neither. Valbazen, Safeguard, Levamisole are excellent wormers for birds. I used to use Pyrantel Pamoate and Ivermectin, but not anymore. Valbazen is my go to wormer, been using it for years as well as Safeguard liquid goat wormer on occasion.

Sorry, cayenne pepper wont treat worms neither. Valbazen, Safeguard, Levamisole are excellent wormers for birds. I used to use Pyrantel Pamoate and Ivermectin, but not anymore. Valbazen is my go to wormer, been using it for years as well as Safeguard liquid goat wormer on occasion.
Good to know. Thanks

@dawg53 has a lot of information here on worming, and I don’t think that chicks need to be wormed for the first month or two. He may chime in. How old are these chicks? Most likely, the worms are from the hens. You could worm the hens with Valbazen 0.5 ml (1/2 ml) orally for a 4-6 pound hen, and then repeat that in 10 days. That treats most worms except tapeworms. Some use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound given orally once and in 10 days for only roundworms. Give it for 5 consecutive days for most types of chicken worms except tapeworms. Most feed stores carry SafeGuard, while Valbazen might be easier to find online here:
https://www.jefferspet.com/valbazen-oral-suspension-500ml-w-cap/p
Shake well before drawing up into a syringe to give orally.

Yeah, I have safeguard and was planning on dosing them orally, but I wasn't sure if I needed to worry about the chicks or if they could even be safely wormed. The youngest are only a week old. So I should wait until they're six weeks old before I worm the young ones?

Back
Top Bottom