Roundworm Treatment Recommendations-please offer help asap

Sophie442

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014
I have researched on here about the treatment of Roundworm and I'm reading DE and Organic ACV or Valbazen or Wazine. Here's my situation.

I have the best laying Rhode Island birds ever. I generally get 14 eggs out of 14 chickens. Today I found a roundworm. It was about 2 inches long. (so gross) Anyway, the chickens look and act fine. My question is-does Organic ACV and DE actually work? I have both. OR should I purchase one of these wormers? There is great debate on here on which to use. I am sick as to throwing away ALL THESE EGGS! If you have experience with this will you please be very specific as to what I am to do from YOUR EXPERIENCE? My vet has barely any experience with this and says chickens rarely get worms. I am really struggling with deciding what to do and don't want to under or overtreat them. I have a picture of the poo/worm if that would be helpful. Please answer asap if you can as I need to take care of this. It totally grosses me out and makes me feel bad for the birds.

The DE and ACV will not effectively worm your hens; you need a real wormer. If you're sure it was a roundworm, Wazine would be a fine choice. However, Valbazen kills more than just roundworms, so you might consider using it just to make sure your hens are free of all other types of worms, too. Or, you could first worm with Wazine to get rid of a majority of the roundworms, then follow up with Valbazen to kill any remaining worms.

Thank you for responding! Among my other concerns, if I worm with 2 separate wormers won't I be throwing away eggs for a month?

Howdy Sophie442

In my experience, if you are seeing worms in their poop, that is a sign of an infestation and time for a worming.

I use ACV in my gals water because it apparently maintains a good pH balance in their digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. So while not an actual wormer, it might be a deterrent.

I have not seen any worms in my gals poops but still worm them every 6 months. I use Kilverm Pig and Poulty Wormer which has an active constituent of Levamisole and treats for Large Roundworm, Caecal Worm and Hairworm. It has no withholding period for eggs so they do not need to be thrown out, only for meat birds for consumption which is 7 days before slaughter.

However, I am in Aus, but you may be able to find a wormer that does not have a withholding period also.

This is a picture of the directions for the Valbazen. What is NIL?

Ok I ordered! It will be here in 4-6 days from Aus! I wish it was here today, but I'm glad I don't have egg withdrawal. And you've used this and still eaten the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom