Roundworms! Topical Dewormer Options?

GRB73

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
I have a very very skittish hen with roundworms. Giving oral meds would be quite a challenge. Is there a topical treatment for roundworms? I saw Ivermectin horse paste on Amazon; could I use this topically under a wing? Or put some on a piece of bread?

Or is SafeGuard (fenbendazole) a better option for treatment? I read somewhere that it is more effective than Ivermectin. Can this be used topically?

Thank you for the information...I have ordered the Safeguard liquid. Wish me luck as I have nine 12 week old girls who are going to be very unhappy with me - plus a nasty rooster and seven older girls.

Yes.
You can use Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or Safeguard Equine paste.
Dose is the same for either one of them:

0.23ml per pound of weight give orally once a day for 5 day in a row to treat most all worms chickens can have except for Tapeworms.
Just want to confirm the dose? I have a 6 lb hen so she should have 1.4 mL of the Safeguard dewormer for goats suspension 10%?

Nope. Safeguard kills slowly, very little risk of that happening. You don't want to under dose the medication. That can lead to the parasites becoming resistant to it. I have never killed a bird by worming it. Do the whole dose.

So the Safeguard for goats works for chickens? Is that the formula you recommend?
Yes.

0.23ml per pound of weight give orally once a day for 5 day in a row to treat most all worms chickens can have except for Tapeworms.

Yes.

Thank you for the information...I have ordered the Safeguard liquid. Wish me luck as I have nine 12 week old girls who are going to be very unhappy with me - plus a nasty rooster and seven older girls.

Your chicks have worms or just the adults?
If you go out early while the birds are still roosting, giving meds will be a little easier. Preload your syringes, wear a headlamp with a red light if possible. Take a bird of the roost, dose them, set them on the floor, move to the next.
Here's how to give oral meds.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Just want to confirm the dose? I have a 6 lb hen so she should have 1.4 mL of the Safeguard dewormer for goats suspension 10%?
That is correct. If you are not sure what parasite you are treating for then give that dose once a day for 5 days in a row. If you were treating roundworm only, you would give that dose once and then again in 10 days.

Some parasites are becoming resistant to ivermectin. I would use the Safeguard. It has to be given orally. I do over 2 dozen birds about every 3 months, it's not that bad. Roundworms are very easy to pick up in the environment, if you have more than one bird I would worm them all. Lock them in the coop at dark. Go out before first light in the morning and take them off the roost one at a time and dose them. They will be calmer before light. Any that really struggle with being held, wrap them in a towel like a burrito to hold their wings. Pull down on the wattles, use an oral syringe to put the medication in the front of the beak no more than .5 ml at a time, let go of the wattles and let them swallow. Repeat until the entire dose is given. Put them in the run, when the coop is empty, you are done. Dosing for Safeguard is .23 ml per pound of bird weight (a inexpensive digital kitchen scale works well for weighing), dose once and then again in 10 days. You can get oral syringes at tractor supply, some feed stores, or any pharmacy (just ask). Make sure you shake the medication well before drawing your dose if you are using the liquid goat wormer, it settles out.

Back
Top Bottom