Roux Dilute/Egyptian Coturnix Quail Discussion Thread

It's okay! I just took a vacation, got busy with chores and holidays, came back to 800 notifications, and now it's taken me a while to get up to sorting through them :th

Yaaay! How about this recent talk of two groups of silvers testing out for you?? Hers and mine on compleatly diff legs of the ssc. Im close to putting up supplemental lighting :rant ive got several new breeding groups penned up but aint nobody putn out :rant

Looks like my Silver boys are doing their jobs, the eggs are showing development in the bator. I'm hoping for a Pharoah hen or two in my batch of younguns, I'd like one in with each of my Silvers. I've only got 7 mature hens, and getting 6-7 eggs per day.

Hi I'd love to understand more about the genetics of my male here, roux dilute?
I'm in New Zealand where we have a really limited gene pool but feel like I got pretty lucky with this dude and would love to see what influence his genetics could have depending on who I pair him with

Mostly limited to Pharoah, Tibetan, English White and Italian around here,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220401-195839_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220401-195839_Gallery.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220401-195839_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220401-195839_Gallery.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 8
Hi I'd love to understand more about the genetics of my male here, roux dilute?
I'm in New Zealand where we have a really limited gene pool but feel like I got pretty lucky with this dude and would love to see what influence his genetics could have depending on who I pair him with

Mostly limited to Pharoah, Tibetan, English White and Italian around here,
Roux is sex linked, a female can only have 1 copy of roux, if she has one, she will be roux colored. To be roux colored a male needs 2 copies of roux. If you cross a roux male to a non roux female, you can gender the chicks at hatch, all reds (roux) are hens, any non roux are males. All of those non roux males will carry roux, normally if you compare a roux carrier to a non carrier you will notice the carrier has a bit more rosey color than the non, Italian males that carry roux often have a very red neck band that will turn black as they mature, a normal non carrier will have a brown neck band that turns black.

What makes your boy so vibrant is the sparkly gene, which enhances the normal colors. Imo you should cross him to a variety of hen colors and patterns, and cross the female chicks back to the father to create more sparklies. You can look at the genetics page of southwest gamebirds and they have some brief info about the major colors, patterns, dilutions, etc

Edit: I actually just zoomed in and looked, does he have black on his wings? A roux bird will not have black at all, it can have dark brown, but no black. The sparkly gene can make a birds colors very vibrant, he might not even be roux, he might be a very bright sparkly pharaoh. Everything else looks roux, but if he has black, it can’t be roux, he could carry roux and it’s just really enhanced by the sparkly gene.

Last edited:
It’s so hard to say from pics, it could be dark brown or black. The overall look says roux to me, but I know sparkly can really enhance other colors and patterns.

Back
Top Bottom