Roy the Rooster is sick again. Need more help!

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All, I have a BO rooster that is 5 years old. We have been dealing with a condition of his
for quite a while now. He seems to get better for a while then relapse again.

Well this last relapse has been pretty bad. He cannot stand well, very tired, does not eat or drink much
and now has a foaming at his beak. I have no idea what to do.

He has been isolated from his girls for a while now, I give him electrolytes in his water, keep his pen clean, and offer
fresh food and water daily. I just don't get it. It seems like he went down several months ago, has good weeks and bad
weeks.

I do not have an avian vet around here, and my cat/dog vet does not see chickens, so I am on my own.

Anymore ideas? Should I try a different antibiotic? I have been giving Sulmet combined with electrolytes. He is
now at the point that he does not show much interest in eating or drinking.

Recently I have been giving him some Rooster Booster B-12 + K by a syringe. That does not seem to help either.

I just don't know what to do anymore. If I should just let him go, let me know that too. I want to try to save him, but if
that is not possible, then I can accept that.

Current condition:
No lice
No mites
Wormed with Safeguard
No leg mites
No sneezing, or nasal discharge
Poo is normal, not runny
Comb is red and perky
Still casts a curious eye to the world
Breathing is normal, no raspiness or wheezing

He is just weak, loosing weight, and not able to stand long or walk more than a few
steps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
If he's relapsed in spite of the antibiotics, he's got a terminal illness. When their appetite drops off and they lose weight, it's a sign of the end.

You say he has a perky red comb. How red? Is it cherry red? It should be a dark red, not bright cherry red. Cherry red combs and wattles signify fever.

There's a virus related to Marek's called lymphotic leucosis. Most chickens have a resistance to it, but when it strikes, it can be devastating. It causes tumors to grow on the organs, and depending on what organs are affected, he could be dying from heart failure, liver failure, etc, and no amount of antibiotics will help. There is no cure, no treatment.

You will know when he's no longer getting anything out of life. Then it will be time to euthanize him. I suggest you immediately refrigerate his body and find a place to send it for a necropsy. It's not real expensive, and it will tell you exactly what he was sick with and how it might affect the rest of your flock.

If he's relapsed in spite of the antibiotics, he's got a terminal illness. When their appetite drops off and they lose weight, it's a sign of the end.

You say he has a perky red comb. How red? Is it cherry red? It should be a dark red, not bright cherry red. Cherry red combs and wattles signify fever.

There's a virus related to Marek's called lymphotic leucosis. Most chickens have a resistance to it, but when it strikes, it can be devastating. It causes tumors to grow on the organs, and depending on what organs are affected, he could be dying from heart failure, liver failure, etc, and no amount of antibiotics will help. There is no cure, no treatment.

You will know when he's no longer getting anything out of life. Then it will be time to euthanize him. I suggest you immediately refrigerate his body and find a place to send it for a necropsy. It's not real expensive, and it will tell you exactly what he was sick with and how it might affect the rest of your flock.

Ok, thanks. I am beginning to think Marek's. I had them vaccinated as chicks so I kind of thought that would offer some protection, but I guess not.
His comb is a normal red color. I meant that it is not blue, or pale. His comb looks good.

I am beginning to think possibly some kind of cancer as well. I have done it all with not the best positive results. He will get better
for a while then relapse for a time. Seems like his relapses seem to be longer and longer. He has his own coop right now, I am spoiling
him till he says its time.

What is the best most humane way to euthanize a chicken with minimal blood. I don't want to hurt him per say. He is a good rooster and I want him
to go with the least pain and trauma.

Thanks for your post.

Last edited:
Ohhh Roy that is tough... If he has lesions you believe to be cancer... It's a form of mareks. There are tons of YouTube videos that teach you how to cull a bird... I would wait til dark before you do it... But most do with them losing their heads one way or another unless you take it to a vet... So sorry you are dealing with this.

Back
Top Bottom