Royal Palm Breed Standard issues

Update. I have a hen that has full banded tail coverts with her new feathers coming in.
39144054_943815905820951_8986158012389392384_n.jpg

This is a very interesting thread! I have Royal Palms and am concerned about brown that is appearing in second generations, either immediately or at 2-3 years of age. I am discouraged because I have sold these as 4H birds, and some of them are growing in some brown that automatically disqualifies them. Below is my second generation tom - I'm wondering if he'll turn brown in a moult or two as well...
37530093_10214881593566702_4874154390463709184_o.jpg

Do you know if age of the breeding pair affects the quality of their offspring? Coloring, instance...

So I want to start a newer thread on this topic. The royal palms in the USA are not meeting the standard written by the APA SOP. I personally think it's a huge issue and not many people are aware of it. Part of the standard written as...
TAIL:Main Tail - pure white with each feather having a broad band of metallic black about 1 1/2 inches in width terminating in pure white at end of tail. COVERTS AND LESSER COVERTS: White with wide
band of metallic black. free of bronze cast, extending across feather near end terminating in a
wide edge of white. It also is suppose to be a DQ if they don't have it.
DISQUALIFICATIONS
Wings showing one or more primary or secondary feathers definitely brown in color. Entire absence of
black edging in neck of toms. Absence of black bands in main tail and greater coverts of both toms and hens.
Not to mention most royal palm lines are muddied with pencilling which should also be a DQ.

So I would like people's thoughts, opinions, comments, concerns, questions on this topic. All pictures of royal palms very helpful! I want to study and survey this! I've attached pictures of typical US royal palms (first 3 pictures) versus some of what they call a Crollwitzer in Europe (last 2 pictures). Same genotype, yet very visible difference in phenotype!! What's going on here?
So the barring is on the wings as well? Just learning
20190414_160832_Burst01.jpg

If your royal palms have brown or gold feathers they are not true royal palms. The standard calls for strictly black and white and any other color is a DQ and is not APA standard. Good looking birds nonetheless! Wow 12 is pretty dang old for a turkey! She must be very healthy and very loved. She looks like some of my f1 broadbreast hybrids.
Do you have a pic of the perfect one. Just learning.

Back
Top Bottom