Rubber band wrapped around leg of pigeon

In my opinion, since pigeons are not legally protected and are a domestic species I see no reason you can't keep her. While I usually advocate to return wildlife where you found it, in this case she really isn't 'wildlife'. Pigeons are technically invasive in a lot of places and considered a nuisance.

Most birds I've seen with injuries like this become targets for predators pretty quickly because they're a bit slower then their healthy counterparts.

I have a one winged pigeon (she was attacked by a group of kids and her wing was torn off) and a pigeon with a bum leg. Both could absolutely care less where they are as long as there's food and room to fly around. I think RB will be just fine for you.

The foot is definitely going to fall off. The whole thing is shriveled and black.
AE3EE256-4314-465D-A017-616DDFAD0F91.jpeg
8C5E1531-4F45-41E7-9001-10CB419246A9.jpeg
1C4816CD-1DB5-4B8F-ADE5-D3CB5EC85CE0.jpeg

and I actually caught a white one that someone “released” for a memorial. Most of the time domestic pigeons can’t survive on their own for long.
It is horrible that people do this. Why release a domestic bird just for fun?
Some make it though. In our neighborhood wild pigeon flock, there are two pure white birds.

It is horrible that people do this. Why release a domestic bird just for fun?
Some make it though. In our neighborhood wild pigeon flock, there are two pure white birds.
Agreed. Its commons sense, why would anyone do that, its so obvious that the poor birds wont make it.
It’s mostly about misinformation. People think that white doves are naturally occurring. So they think they’re setting them free into the wild.
With such a small foot and such rapid shrinkage I don't see it taking too long.

How is Rubber Band doing otherwise? Happy and healthy, or is RB depressed?
She’s doing good! She eats, is active, and coos when she sees other pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom