Rubber roofing for floor?

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
I've been meaning to buy some linoleum/vinyl flooring to put in the new coop. Well, someone gave hubby a big piece of rubber roofing. I wanted to ask here before we use it.

Hubby says he can fix it where I can easily pull the whole thing out & hose/scrub it down when I do a deep clean.

So, I don't know if he's just planning on laying it in there not nailed down or putting some sort of baseboards around the edges to keep it held down or what..

I was concerned about the deep litter ammonia build up deteriorating the rubber or from weather changes it dry rotting or something, but he says "It's rubber roofing! It's meant to take changes in weather."

Will this be a good floor? How should he put it down?

ETA: I hung this over the fence the other day & gave it a good scrubbing because it was just laying folded up in the guy's yard & he has chickens too (so wanted to prevent disease & clean the thing up). I used a hair dryer on the creases where it had been folded up to hopefully get them to un-crease. It made it more pliable but the creases aren't completely gone. I left it hanging on the fence for this week hoping the warmth of the sun would do it. Any tips for getting the creases out?

Last edited:
I'm interested in any responses as well. i have a bunch of pond liner pieces that I think I can use in my coop for a floor or poop catcher, etc.

From my experence with the rubber roofing material I would not use it. I have a lot of it around here but I still used the flooring I got from HD. I do not like the film that developes on the rubber and when cleaning it, nothing I've found slides over it well at all. It is hard to lay flat with no ripples in it. Those catch whatever you use to clean. If you don't plan on cleaning it won't matter. If you plan on taking it out each time it won't matter. But for me, I didn't and won't use it.

Well, hubby is going to put it in today & we are gonna try it. I do the deep litter method, so I probably won't take it out til Spring or so. If it's a mess & too hard to clean at the time, while I have it out, we will put down linoleum.

Back
Top Bottom