Rubbermaid coop... finally up! update 9/11/11 post#56

Outer doors are closed & latched at night. The smaller drop door faces into the secure pen. I don't always close it on warm summer nights because many choose to roost out in the secure pen. I've had this set up for 3 years now & it has worked great! No predators have gotten in. Well worth the time, money & effort.

I can't decide whether to do as you did with just a small hole on the side for them to get in and out or to have the doors facing in the chain link. How do you close it when they go in at night?
My husband installed a pet door on one of the big doors. In the summer, you can open the big doors, while in winter, you can keep the big doors shut & just open the pet door. The pet doors can be closed at night. Just be sure to shop around for a sturdy one.

Here is a pic of mine. Sorry it isn't the best quality. It was taken from my critter cam inside the coop.

Thank you ladies but still can't decide whether to have big doors facing inside the run area or not. I haven't seen any sign of predators per say, we have quite a few wild hicks around and they seem to do fine. I am using an old dog pen as a run. Got a metal frame for a carport or boat cover that I cut to fit over the fencing so we added height (fence was only 4') as well as a cover over the run. I only have three chicks now with a cheap coop from tractor supply (cheaply made that is) which is fine for now. It was free can't complain. Now I want a few more chicks so need a bigger coop. Saw a rubbermaid shed for free I'm hoping to get, so been reading about what you all did with yours. I'm surprised you all still answered this thread! I appreciate it!

How wide is the door on your dog kennel? Will a wheelbarrow fit through it? I think you need to think about cleaning out your coop & what will be easiest. The more chickens you have, the faster the mess piles up. How will you be hauling it away from the coop? Trying to navigate a wheelbarrow into & out of a kennel might be a pain?

Also, where do you live? Do you get snow? Cleaning out the coop can be a challenge in the winter. Sometimes when it is cold, you tend to put that chore off, then when you get around to it, it can be more than the usual amount to haul off. A wheelbarrow can be a necessity, so be sure all your doors are wide enough to accommodate one should you need it.

Some chickens do not like snow or the cold and will not leave the coop in the winter. Be sure you have enough space in your coop for all your birds. When they are crowded & bored, bad behaviors may develop. A free coop may not be all that great if it is too small. Just a thought.
hu.gif
But you could always get another coop if you decide to get more birds. Ah, who am I kidding? You will get more birds. Chickens are addicting.
wink.png

Good luck.

No I cannot fit a wheelbarrel into the fenced area but it is easily raked. I plan on only getting another 3 chicks, so 6 total. I live in FL so no snow. The shed fell through so on to the next idea!

I faced the large doors out for just that reason. Easy access for cleaning. I too have 2 dog runs attached to the side with a small drop door there. I would definitely do the Rubbermade shed again. With minor modefications it has worked really well for us. Hope you find one reasonable that will work for you.

We have finished our coop for the most part. Still have a few minor touches and need to clean up. We bought a Rubbermaid shed and used an old dog kennel, used the poles from an old trampoline to make the roof to the run. My husband didn't want to put any holes in the shed just in case we decide to do something different later or decide to not have chickens. I didn't want to argue with him about chicken math so we made some compromises.
wink.png

Ignore the mess I need to clean up, but hurting from the build.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom