RUBY WENT TO THE VET TODAY

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickaroo!, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Well, actually yesterday too. I took her yesterday and had her exrayed. She sounded like Darth Vader, the poor thing. Well, between the lungs, heart and liver, it's suppose to have an hourglass shape with air sacks on both sides. Well, Ruby has no hourglass shape and is super full of fluid. She got two injections and the vet gave me some Tylan powder to mix in her water. She's seperated and in the house. Anyway, she's not drinking much so I bought the injectable Tylan. I "chickened" out to do it myself so the vet very kindly told me to bring her in and she's show me how to do it. So, she turned Ruby onto her back and Ruby decided that, that would be a good time to poop!!! It shot straight out and went all over the vet's lab coat!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Cost of two vet visits: $249.00
    Ruby projectile pooping on vet: Priceless

Anyway, please say a little prayer for Ruby that the Tylan will help and she'll get better. Most would have culled her a long time ago. She doesn't even lay anymore. But I bought her as a pet and if it were one of my dogs, I'd do the same for them so why not my pet chicken!

2. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    The pooping is pricless!!!! [​IMG] I wish I could have been there to see the look on the vets face [​IMG]

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I hope Ruby feels better, soon. That is so funny! Well maybe more to us, than the vet!

When we took our rabbit in to be neutered he was older, so he had a full vet exam and some lab work done. During the exam, the vet pressed on his bladder and he shot urine out like a fire hose! The vet tried to jump away, but he just wasn't fast enough. He said it was the healthiest urine he'd ever seen come out of a rabbit. [​IMG]

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Chickaroo! :

Cost of two vet visits: $249.00
    Ruby projectile pooping on vet: Priceless

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now thats hilarious!

I hope Ruby gets better fast.
    ~Rebecca​

5. Hiedi

Hiedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Upstate SC
    I hope your Ruby gets better soon.

6. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Ruby was just sayin' thanx to the vet![​IMG][​IMG] Hope she feels better!

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Lol!! Maybe THAT'S why so many of them are anti-chicken! They're chicken of chicken poo!!

8. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Sending get well quick wishes Ruby's way. I am so glad you are trying to save Ruby, she must be a very lucky girl.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Glad Ruby has some meds. Sounds serious. I will say a prayer for Ruby!

10. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I guess I should post something under that thread about spoiling your chickens! On second thought, naw, it'd take waaaayyyyy to long [​IMG]

I just got back from the bait store. I bought some mealworms and Ruby scarfed them down so I know she does still have some sort of appatite. Although, she hasn't eaten any of her regular food. She did eat some scrambled egg earlier this morning though.

The vet said that according to the instructions in her avian book that the Tylan should be repeated every 6-8 hrs. Has anyone ever done that? She also told me to keep the Tylan water in the cage for her. Does that sound like alot of Tylan to you all? I don't want to overdose her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by