Ruddy Shelduck not eating, HELP!

prettyduck

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
Hi guys and gals

I'm new to ducks and purchased my first duckies last Sunday, a pair of Ruddys, Percy and Bliss (the names still might change). Anyway, they haven't been eating their food. Lots of grass and what not, but not their duck pellets. I have tried scattering it, (which they pecked a bit at) and putting it in a dish, and putting it in a bowl, but they are not interested. I'm really getting worried now. They seem in perfect health otherwise, but they aren't eating. Why? From what I've read here it seems quite strange for a healthy, full grown duck not to eat. I have also tried some lettuce and other fruit and veggies, but they don't seem hungry. Please help! they are really starting to worry me!

Hi Pretty Duck,
Depending on where you are and the availability of green grass, your shelducks may be getting by with eating mostly vegetation. In the meantime though I'd make sure to call the person you purchased them from and make sure you're feeding them the same diet as they had previously. You can gradually switch them to a new diet but they shouldn't be switched cold turkey. Also keep in mind that wild waterfowl don't eat as much or as often as domestic ducks.

You may also want to located the feed bowl as close as possible to the water source. Being able to lubricate their meal with a drink is always appreciated by all waterfowl and you may find they take to the feed quicker when it's near water. Most wild ducks (shelducks included) really enjoy white millet seed. Offering a shallow tray of millet near the water may attract thier interest as well.

Most importantly though, check the droppings of the ducks. If they are mostly white or yellowish with very little mass, the ducks probably aren't eating. If there's some bulk to it they're finding the food.

Good luck,
DT

they have access to A LOT of juicy green grass and graze plenty. and yes, I'm feeding the same food as at the bird place. and yes, the food is places close to the water Thank you, for they help, I have decided that they are getting most of what they need from the yard, I will keep offering pellets though.

Back
Top Bottom