Run maintenance

We use grass clippings when we mow, but the long grass actually isn’t good, in case they eat it and get grass stuck in their crops. You could use pine shavings (or cedar i forget which is better) to layer on the ground a little bit.

Have you had a chicken with grass stuck in its crop?

Have you had a chicken with grass stuck in its crop?
I have. Our field grass got too long and one of our OG barred rocks got out there and ate a bunch of long grass. We didn’t know what to do because it was our first flock (vet wasn’t option) and she died. Our sad cut her open and found a rope of grass stuck in her crop.

It also depends on your run situation. If it's covered and dry pine pellets processed into sawdust works great for me. 1-2 inches deep , poop picked up and run raked everyday. 10% removed and replaced monthly. Total clean out twice a year. It's not maintenance free, but it looks nice and very little issues with flies.

I have. Our field grass got too long and one of our OG barred rocks got out there and ate a bunch of long grass. We didn’t know what to do because it was our first flock (vet wasn’t option) and she died. Our sad cut her open and found a rope of grass stuck in her crop.

Take a chicken to the vet, you say..

Could the chicken have died from some other cause and simultaneously had a crop full of grass? I've read these articles around about tall grass being bad for chickens.. My experience is quite opposite.

I let the grass get tall before moving my chicken tractors on it. They eat it like spaghetti, and I've lost very few birds to anything. I've raised a bunch in this fashion.

Not trying to be rude, and I'm sorry that you lost a bird. I can't see a correlation between the the crop full of grass and the death.

Take a chicken to the vet, you say..

Could the chicken have died from some other cause and simultaneously had a crop full of grass? I've read these articles around about tall grass being bad for chickens.. My experience is quite opposite.

I let the grass get tall before moving my chicken tractors on it. They eat it like spaghetti, and I've lost very few birds to anything. I've raised a bunch in this fashion.

Not trying to be rude, and I'm sorry that you lost a bird. I can't see a correlation between the the crop full of grass and the death.
Is doesn’t happen very often. We have a whole field full of long grass right now. She seemed to be straining and wouldn’t eat. The grass rope was about, say, 5-6 inches long and went from her crop that far into the rest of her body. I think it just got really caught up in her. The others I’ve seen are fine, but that BR was just sitting there eating the long grass, really nothing else.

Is doesn’t happen very often. We have a whole field full of long grass right now. She seemed to be straining and wouldn’t eat. The grass rope was about, say, 5-6 inches long and went from her crop that far into the rest of her body. I think it just got really caught up in her. The others I’ve seen are fine, but that BR was just sitting there eating the long grass, really nothing else.
Even then, it might’ve been something else- I just have no idea what.

I like the sand idea. I just read some post about that. We are dry here so that maybe a good choice. Then scoop the poop out.
Thank-you for your tips & ideas.
I have sand in my run and they love it! It's easy to replace and scooping if necessary. They dig and dust bath in it all the time! Only thing I have to say about sand is don't put a weed barrier down. Learn from my mistake...lol

I use the pine pellets from TSC in the run. You pour them out, then mist them with water & they expand to about 3 times their size. I rake thru them every couple of days & any bedding, poo, etc goes into fabric pot things which I will grow veggies etc in in the spring. The pellets are about $11.00 for a 30 lb bag.

Back
Top Bottom