Run Material

I don't have a problem with it getting compacted. The chickens dig it all up and I do rake it once in awhile (mostly just to fill the holes they like to dig!), throw on some Sweet PDZ etc. Mine is 4-6" deep, I don't know what's going on "down below", but the top 3-4" is all nice and fluffy, it drains well and doesn't smell. It does freeze in the winter, but I like that because it makes it easy to sweep off the top layer of snow. The section in the foreground is sand, the stuff in the back, left corner is pine straw.

Pretty deluxe digs for your chickens! I use pelletized lime for smell control. A little dusting every so often, especially after rainy periods.

I saw tube sand at blue home improvement store today for $4.18 for 60lbs. A little cheaper than by the bag. So wondering what would be better; gritty or fine sand for winter use?

Quote: Larger grit should theoretically drain better, but realistically I doubt you could tell any difference

I'd check the prices on buying it by the truck load

The sand is cheap. It's the delivery charge. $75. I may tempt fate and put a small load into my '94 F150. But at the end of the day, bags or tubes may be a bit easier to handle than shoveling.

Back
Top Bottom