Run Roof: Is this ok?

You can use it. However it will not keep out wild birds and such. It will keep out hawks, which is why (I'm assuming) you want an enclosed pen right? It will keep your chickens in. Not quail though.

Have you considered netting? It has smaller holes to keep out the wild birds.
Hawks, yes. Also other predators. We have a lot of neighborhood cats. They climb our 7ft fence all the time which is chain link and our run is 8ft chain link so I wouldn't put it pass them to climb it and get inside. We also have a lot of raccoons come through at night time since our neighbor feeds them. I am worried about them climbing it as well *or* coming from the top in the trees and dropping down.

We have dug it about 3 to 4 inches in the ground and will be putting cement bricks.

Tie wraps aren't uv protected and will not last much more than a year if that. The wire you linked to has 2 x 4 holes. It wouldn't keep a young coon or a cat out,

You should buy 36inch x 50foot roll of poultry netting/chicken wire..thats what i use on the top of my 16'x16' run. You can also buy big staples you hammer into the wood to hold it up..the staples are in the electric supply section at home depot. Theu are used to holding electric cables down. Its worked great for me!

You should buy 36inch x 50foot roll of poultry netting/chicken wire..thats what i use on the top of my 16'x16' run. You can also buy big staples you hammer into the wood to hold it up..the staples are in the electric supply section at home depot. Theu are used to holding electric cables down. Its worked great for me!
I just finished my run, and i would agree that electrical staples would work, but they are a little overkill... I used poultry staples which I found at home depot in the hardware aisle. (They're also a lot cheaper!) Hope this helps!

Also, if you are looking for a better alternative to zip ties, look into hog rings. Those would last as long as the fencing.

I also used zip ties and people told me they would ware out in the sun, I am going back and stringing some easybend wire to hold the roof together!
I know the tarp will also wear out, I will just replace when needed.
Here is a pic of my terrible looking coop but the Hens love it!

Thanks everyone. We are going to be doing it this weekend and actually are looking into just the plain netting again as an option...

But if not we will be doing the chicken wire (we also have fencing we tore down and if we have enough of that - we will use it - it is actually the stuff I linked to above, we aren't worried about size). I don't think the staples will work at all because this is a pure metal fenced run... so I would have to do zip ties or the "hog" rings.

Thanks again! Also thank you for the photo, mbjr73, I haven't seen anyones run yet that used a roofing like we want to so it was nice to see!

Back
Top Bottom