Run Roofs

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
We are getting another snow storm right now and the netting is not doing well. I'm planing on building a wood run around the present pvc and then roof it with corrugated clear and metal. It will be a long process and I have to do it in steps. There will be a lot of undoing this to do that. It is going to be a huge project. Yesterday it was beautiful and I measured for the first wall.

I'm not sure about the roofing at all. Are brackets needed. I know that I have to run the 2x4s from main beam about 2 ft apart and I know that smaller(not sure if these are 2x4s) about 18 inches apart for support. I have the General idea but pictures from inside the run would help greatly. I know everyone has different ways.

I need something that will be strong enough to hold snow. The run will end up being about 15x50. The pitch for the roof will be about 5-7 inches on both sides. There will be multiple 2x4s(most likely doubled) coming from the main beam down for support. There will be some connection to the coop also.

So pictures of runs from the inside are needed...thank you to all that can supply these for me.

I do not have pictures that I can share but some thoughts.
  1. Normally spacing done in construction is either 16" or 24" On Center. This is done to conform to the sizes of wood/plastic/metal sheets. Check on the widths of the roof sheeting you plan to use.
  2. 2" by 4" timber used for a ~8' span (I think you are planing for a "V" roof given your comment about main beam) is small if you have any sort of snow accumulation, particularly using 24" rafter spacing. I would be thinking 16" or a larger dimensional rafter size. Span tables are available online, I looked at a few, all started with 2" by 6". Anything smaller than 2" by 4" is asking for trouble. Lumber is priced by size - two 2" by 4" is more expensive than a 2" by 6" and doubling them up is more work
  3. The pitch you are thinking is not enough to shed any snow, it is adequate for rain. Depending on how much snow accumulation you get you may want to increase the pitch and consider removing snow as needed through the winter.
  4. Brackets are not "required" but may make installation easier. As an alternative one can nail on an angle through the side of a rafter and into the support beam underneath. If you choose this approach a nail gun and compressor will make your life much easier, use 3-3 1/2" nails.
Good luck!

This article has some good drawings of different ways you can frame your roof.

https://www.wikihow.com/Frame-a-Roof

a quick google or youtube search of how to frame a roof will provide you a lot of info.

To be honest none of the runs I have saw are as complex as some of these. I have googled building a roof for chicken run but I'm not getting what I need. There was a thread not that long ago and people were putting up pics. I can't remember what thread though.

If you are building a proper roof over a 15'x50' area, which is the size of a small house or barn, and it is to hold up to wind and snow for years, it should be constructed like the roof of a house or barn IMHO. A roof that is simply sloped, so one side is higher than the other, would be far simpler to build than one that peaks in the center. You could also do a web search on building a pavilion or pergola as essentially this is what you are doing, building an open air structure with a roof but no walls.

Back
Top Bottom