Run security in high-predator area

stropharia

Hatching
Mar 28, 2020
I'm looking into starting a flock of about 10 laying hens in an area with a large predator population. After a lot of research, I'm finding that a bomb-proof coop and run are essential. I'm not concerned about the coop; with wood and 1/2 inch hardware cloth, it would be quite secure.

I'm most concerned about the daytime run, especially defending against the huge abundance of bobcats. They're around all the time, day or night, and can easily scale or dig under any fence. A neighbor lost a duck within minutes of letting them out to free range (which the remaining ducks no longer get to enjoy). Trapping, hunting, or otherwise going on the offensive against the wildlife would be a fruitless waste of time, as the massive nearby wilderness serves as an endless source of wildlife to claim the newly vacant territory.

My goal is not only to produce eggs, but also compost (a la "Edible Acres" on YouTube). This requires that I and a wheelbarrow can get inside the run to turn compost piles regularly. At 10 square feet per bird, is my only option to cover all six sides of an 8 foot tall, 100 square foot run with 1/2 inch hardware cloth? This would be pretty pricey, so any suggestions on how to cut costs while retaining security would be welcome. I know electric is an option, but the area is very shady and far from other power sources, and electric doesn't seem very affordable either. Thanks for any help!

You do not need hardware cloth for bobcats. Hardware cloth stops smaller predators, snakes, rats, skunks, weasels, possum, small dogs and small raccons, for example. Larger predators can tear hardware cloth. Not sure if a bobcat can or not. Might depend on the gauge of the hardware cloth.

Torn Hardware Cloth

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1105056/dog-vs-hardware-cloth#post_17001519

I don't know how the cost compares but my suggestion would be to look at a heavy gauge wire mesh with holes small enough that a bobcat cant get through. I used 2" x 4" welded wire, I'm comfortable with it against a pretty big dog.

A small bobcat can slip through 2x4", no problem. Raccoons and others can too, though they're less of an issue during the day. Maybe I can get away with 1/2" along the bottom few feet and 1 or 2" higher up & on the roof...

The run has to stand up to coyotes and mountain lions, but not large dogs or any bears. The chickens will be in the coop at night when these predators are most active, but the coop will be inside the run so I expect them to try to get in.

Electric would be your best bet.

Beyond electric... How would a bobcat get through 2"x4" openings? I also have bobcats coming by and even juveniles are pretty sizeable. I think a base of 2x4 welded wire, or chain link, should work, reinforced with hardware cloth up the bottom few feet to keep anything like coons from simply reaching in and grabbing a chicken.

Perhaps I was mistaken, I thought juvenile bobcats had narrow enough heads, but upon further investigation that looks less likely.

As mentioned, electric isn't really an option due to remote location and shade preventing solar panels. It's also more expensive than just covering everything with hardware cloth. It looks like that won't be necessary, though. Thanks for your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom