*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Pics
I bought the ducklings from Tractor Supply. I don't think it is a Muscovy because Tractor Supply wasn't selling those.
I got some pictures of them from our outing today. They did really well and went over to their coop and sat by the door when they were ready to go back inside.

If they aren't runners can someone tell me if they are Cayugas? I am almost sure they are runners but I could be wrong. They had both at Tractor Supply.

Last edited:
Thank you. I just called Tractor Supply and they don't remember having any black ducklings. There were only two black ducklings there when I bought them. They don't get the breeds separated with the ducks as they do with the chickens. It is good to have an opinion from people who raise ducks, thank you all.

Last edited:
Hello Runner Folks,

HELP NEEDED! I have a ratio issue in my small flock of just maturing Runners, & have several inquiries out to correct it. This site has always been a great one for helpful responses, so here I am. Our little farm is located in southern VT, & I'm just looking to either relocate 2 extra drakes or add 2 females. My current flock hatched in late June 2012, my 1 female just began laying last week, & though no mounting action is happening at the moment, I know it's just a matter of time. These are pet/farmyard quality birds from a small breeder in NH that is no longer hatching Runners. Very sweet birds, lovingly hand raised & very true to the Runner foraging nature.

Any help with either finding more girls under 1 year old or relocating 2 boys in New England or the surrounds would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

SidUccle, I don't understand the question. Are you asking wether you should get rid of the males or add females? Or are you asking if anybody wants your drakes or has females to sell?

Hi Runner keepers here are some pics of mine Fiona and Shrek , a question I have it when you put your ducks away for the night do you put water in with them ? Shrek just knocks it over every night, they have access to watter all day but I feed them dry layers pellets and thought it might be too dry

rubberduckies, Thanks for double checking about my question. I was just asking if anyone had New England contacts for juvenile females to add to my flock, OR if anyone is looking for 2 drakes to add to their flock. I know where to find ducklings, but I am looking for an immediate solution first. I do know that I can't have 3 drakes & 1 duck, so I don't need advice on that.
smile.png

Cheers

Hi Runner keepers here are some pics of mine Fiona and Shrek , a question I have it when you put your ducks away for the night do you put water in with them ? Shrek just knocks it over every night, they have access to watter all day but I feed them dry layers pellets and thought it might be too dry

You are right that food without water is a choking risk. I find that a stew pot with flat bottom and straight sides helps quite a bit, especially placed in a larger, shallow bucket. Or you can let them go without food and water for 8 hours since they appear to be adults.

Beautiful Runners, Omadawn & great names! In answer to your question, I've done both with my ducks. I'll put pellets in their heated bowl this time of the year, then fill with water for the night so they have both & put the whole thing on a rubber tray to collect the water when I think they haven't had enough during the day. It still makes a mess even with the tray, so I've also kept food/water out when I notice they've eaten a lot & it's warm enough to forage. Holderread & a few other waterfowl keepers I know say no food/water in the coop for adults is fine, but I've definitely gone back & forth with this question. My ducks seem to enjoy having a feed/drink right when they go in at dusk, so I always hate to deprive them of that.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom