*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Pics
Hoping for some advice! I got my first ducks about 3 weeks ago, 3 adult female runners and 3 ducklings! We weren't sure what breed the ducklings were at first but it's pretty clear now that they are all runners or runner hybrids. Anyway, when we got the ducks, one of them was already laying. For the first few days we still got eggs from her, and their previous owner said that the other 2 should start laying any time, however, they haven't yet and we have only gotten a total of about 4 eggs in the past 3 weeks! I am a little bit dismayed since this was the whole reason my family agreed to get them :p Any tips on how to get them to start laying? I have been feeding them crumbles and they also free range in our yard so I think they are getting plenty of food. They are very skittish around us still because I think the move was very traumatic for them. Also, any ideas on how to get them more comfortable around me? I am the only one who feeds them but they are still pretty terrified of me! Help! Thanks :)

Here are the 3 "Mommas" as we call them in a kennel after first coming home. Now they have a great big enclosure. You can sort of see the "babies" in the background. They are much bigger now!

Hoping for some advice! I got my first ducks about 3 weeks ago, 3 adult female runners and 3 ducklings! We weren't sure what breed the ducklings were at first but it's pretty clear now that they are all runners or runner hybrids. Anyway, when we got the ducks, one of them was already laying. For the first few days we still got eggs from her, and their previous owner said that the other 2 should start laying any time, however, they haven't yet and we have only gotten a total of about 4 eggs in the past 3 weeks! I am a little bit dismayed since this was the whole reason my family agreed to get them :p Any tips on how to get them to start laying? I have been feeding them crumbles and they also free range in our yard so I think they are getting plenty of food. They are very skittish around us still because I think the move was very traumatic for them. Also, any ideas on how to get them more comfortable around me? I am the only one who feeds them but they are still pretty terrified of me! Help! Thanks :)

Here are the 3 "Mommas" as we call them in a kennel after first coming home. Now they have a great big enclosure. You can sort of see the "babies" in the background. They are much bigger now!
Congratulations!

I think you have almost answered your own question. Moving can be traumatic, and big changes and anxiety interfere with laying.

I expect they will begin laying again once they feel that they are home, and not under constant threat.

Their instincts protect them, and they fear things taller than they are.

Take a look at the stickies at the top of the forum. There are loads of good ideas there. Especially check out the Raising Ducklings thread for your littles.

If the older ducks are ready for laying, they need to be on layer feed, with free choice oyster shell on the side. A bucket of water deep enough for washing their heads needs to be available all the time.

The ducklings need their own kind of accommodations, but keeping them in sight of the adults will help integrate them once the littles are adult size. Ducks have a social structure, and it takes time for things to work out, but they do (with rare exceptions).

Everyone needs water available all the time. Technically adults can go without overnight for 8 hours, but I prefer mine to have constant access to water. They are waterfowl.

Predators are a big risk. Security needs to be high on the list of priorities. Predators you may never have seen will likely show up, sooner or later. So please read up on pens and shelters.

Last edited:
Our incubator babies with their surrogate mom and real dad. First day outside. We gave them to her yesterday, almost 3wks old. She was super broody and took them on like they were her own.
a7umeva8.jpg

ju9evysy.jpg

When the babies were in the incubator did you mist every day or twice a week. I just put some in from my runners and I've heard different recommendations. The only other issue is fertility. I only have 1 male and 1 female and the drake shows a lot more interest in my chickens then our girl.

I didn't do anything special with them. I have a genesis so I just filled the tray up and kept it around 40% and bumped it to 60-65% at lock down. We also have 1 drake and 1 duck. Their real mom is in the shady spot in the back of them sitting on eggs but it's almost time to give up on them this weekend. We started with 6 in the bator 4 made it to lock down and 2 hatched. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom