*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Pics
Beautiful Runners, Omadawn & great names! In answer to your question, I've done both with my ducks. I'll put pellets in their heated bowl this time of the year, then fill with water for the night so they have both & put the whole thing on a rubber tray to collect the water when I think they haven't had enough during the day. It still makes a mess even with the tray, so I've also kept food/water out when I notice they've eaten a lot & it's warm enough to forage. Holderread & a few other waterfowl keepers I know say no food/water in the coop for adults is fine, but I've definitely gone back & forth with this question. My ducks seem to enjoy having a feed/drink right when they go in at dusk, so I always hate to deprive them of that.
hmm.png
I know what you mean, thay had lots of foraging today and whilst i was tidying up my veg patch and grren house , they eat a lot of beetroot leaves so am happy they have eaten lots today ..... when i put them in tonight, they where not very impressed there was no food , they where actualy quite noisy lol

I have some runner duck eggs heading my way next week for my first shot at hatching out ducks. I can't wait!!! Having some runners around the farm will really liven the place up.

I am new to having ducks. I have 4 now, 2- peking and 2 rouens. They are approx. 4 weeks old. I have in my incubator fawn runner ducks due to hatch 4/15/13. Is it safe to put the younger ducklings with the older? Will they older pick on the younger. Thanks for helping.

I am new to having ducks. I have 4 now, 2- peking and 2 rouens. They are approx. 4 weeks old. I have in my incubator fawn runner ducks due to hatch 4/15/13. Is it safe to put the younger ducklings with the older? Will they older pick on the younger. Thanks for helping.
My first thoughts: No and Yes.

Longer explanation: older ducklings can be clumsy, and sometimes downright ornery. I would keep the new littles separate, just on the other side of some plastic poultry fence, perhaps, until they are the same size as the older ones.

They catch up pretty quickly.

Thanks for your quick response.

Last night I was watching how to candle eggs at 14 days and what they should look like. After watching several you-tubes and comparing, I saw what they called the red line of death in all my eggs. It appears that the runner duck egg embryos died. Very big bummer. I only saw what looked like veins and the red line, but no mass which would be the start of the little ducklings. I am having a very difficult time regulating the temperature in my new Hova-Bator with automatic turner incubator. I had 3 thermometers and they all said something different. I tried to adjust the temp.and I think that is what did it. I would like to order some more runner duck eggs and try this again, but before I do I need to be able to regulate the temp. and be sure of this reading. Is there anyone else who has experienced this and what is the solution. I have read the Hova-Bator directions without success to resolving this problem. Please help, Many thanks,

hey all, I'm over the pond and have got some runner eggs in my incubator. So excited! Only had them a few days so hope they are actually fertile! Wonder if I should be worried one is smaller and a different colour from the other eggs!?

Hey everyone! I've just rescued a young runner and am hoping you guys might be able the help me figure out the color and age and maybe even sex of the little thing. My guess is five weeks and apricot... I've got no clue on the sex though. Here's a picture of the little thing!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom