*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Pics
Quote:
gig.gif

I gave mine defrosted peas popped as they can grind down the shells to start with. Also ripped up little bits of lettuce, ground up dried mealworms. Bedding I use towels as I didn't want them to eat sawdust. Even now I still use towels as they make such a mess and knock their water over! Did try big shavings but just got soaked! So messy! People say hay isnt so good as it goes mouldy once damp and is bad for them to breathe in the spores. I use large but soft shavings just with a little hay in the nest box. As soon as its warm enough they can have quick supervised visits outside. Making it a little longer each time. Mine are 4 weeks today and are still inside at night as its pretty cold here, also they are only just feathering out. You'll just have to see how it goes with the chicks and them. Oyster shells - if they are free ranging then they will probably find enough grit naturally. One way to tell is when they eventually start laying see how hard the shells are. To start with I put my ducklings in the sink, then the bath, now a paddling pool outside until our pond is finished. It will become more apparent how much water they need to swim in as they grow. They can swim from about day two when the cord is defo dried up in warm water. Getting colder and for a longer time as they get older.

Thank you
thumbsup.gif

Just got done with a hatching and I'm the usual post-hatch frazzled mess. My batch of Trout runners plus one last-minute American Buff goose was due Friday, but you know how these things go
roll.png
. Some started pipping Thursday just to give a head-start on hatching nerves, and there was the usual at what point do I consider jail-breaking them tension which 4 allayed by behaving very much like popcorn starting Friday morning. The remaining four eggs plus goose sat there all of Saturday and didn't so much as utter a peep. Saturday night I got ready to do my usual last-minute candle before disposing of the eggs that didn't make it when - yes, that looks like the faintest of pip marks on one of the eggs. When I picked it up to candle it, the egg was as warm as a furnace and there was a furious burst of squeaking as if to say I am here, don't give up! The goose egg had a live occupant but not much of an air pocket. I didn't think it would be able to get out. The remaining three duck eggs had not survived
sad.png
. Sunday the last duck egg's pipping had become more pronounced but it became obvious that this little bird was getting exhausted so I unzipped 3/4 of the egg for it and held my breath, and about two hours later it made it the rest of the way out on its own. Man, was I a lovely shade of blue! And darn it if that gosling wasn't determined to prove me completely wrong - it pipped Sunday, took a bit of a rest, and popped the rest of the way out at bout 4:30 a.m. Monday morning.

I need coffee.

Just got done with a hatching and I'm the usual post-hatch frazzled mess. My batch of Trout runners plus one last-minute American Buff goose was due Friday, but you know how these things go
roll.png
. Some started pipping Thursday just to give a head-start on hatching nerves, and there was the usual at what point do I consider jail-breaking them tension which 4 allayed by behaving very much like popcorn starting Friday morning. The remaining four eggs plus goose sat there all of Saturday and didn't so much as utter a peep. Saturday night I got ready to do my usual last-minute candle before disposing of the eggs that didn't make it when - yes, that looks like the faintest of pip marks on one of the eggs. When I picked it up to candle it, the egg was as warm as a furnace and there was a furious burst of squeaking as if to say I am here, don't give up! The goose egg had a live occupant but not much of an air pocket. I didn't think it would be able to get out. The remaining three duck eggs had not survived
sad.png
. Sunday the last duck egg's pipping had become more pronounced but it became obvious that this little bird was getting exhausted so I unzipped 3/4 of the egg for it and held my breath, and about two hours later it made it the rest of the way out on its own. Man, was I a lovely shade of blue! And darn it if that gosling wasn't determined to prove me completely wrong - it pipped Sunday, took a bit of a rest, and popped the rest of the way out at bout 4:30 a.m. Monday morning.

I need coffee.

Wonderful hatch! Yes you do need something lol!
I understand quite well as I went through the same thing a few days ago with chicks and I needed a lot of tea! :)
Did you have to cool off the eggs everyday and spray them? I'm guessing that the goose egg needed that?

Back
Top Bottom