*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

And by goose you mean female?! Oh now I see in your location! That would be perfect if mine is a female. It's my only goose and I have 8 runners (can't help but worry if the goose tried to mate my little girls :/ ). Do you know how old yours is? And when did her nobbin stop growing?

-Sorry everyone for derailing from the amazing runner ducks... I promise I won't ask anymore goose questions :)

And by goose you mean female?! Oh now I see in your location! That would be perfect if mine is a female. It's my only goose and I have 8 runners (can't help but worry if the goose tried to mate my little girls :/ ). Do you know how old yours is? And when did her nobbin stop growing?

-Sorry everyone for derailing from the amazing runner ducks... I promise I won't ask anymore goose questions :)
It is fine :D

She is female :D And I do not know any questions about when she was a gosling, I got her full grown :D

Question! I have 13 runners, a muscovy and 6 runner/muscovy mix ducklings. How much should I be feeding them? They act like they are always hungry and I don't want to feed them too little.

I make sure the flock has food 24/7 - there are estimates about how much food is needed, but it will vary depending on weather and available forage, laying status, age, all that.

Today is a great day! The finale of Big Brother and the first episode of the season of Survivor is on tonight! PLUS, I picked up my 11 runner girls from the post office and they are all doing great!!!! I have had chicks this young, but not ducklings. My other ducks were already a couple weeks old when I got them. They are eating and drinking and VERY active. They are going to outgrow their pen very fast:0 We got 3 fawn and white, 3 black, 3 chocolate and 2 blue. They are so cute!!! They were hatched on Monday, September 22 at Metzer Farms. My 6 adults are drakes. I am going to have to keep these girls safe from them for a long time! I will post pictures soon!

These babies are messy!!! I may have to split them up. Can't seem to keep the bedding dry. I have the water and food in a plastic kitty litter pan that has an opening cut for them. Then I have the other half of their pen with pine shavings. They have been trying to eat the shavings so I have put paper towels on top of the shavings. I have to change the paper towels every hour or so. I tried taking photos of all of them together but they move too fast:) so I took a few separate photos.

2 days old! I just love them!

These babies are messy!!! I may have to split them up. Can't seem to keep the bedding dry. I have the water and food in a plastic kitty litter pan that has an opening cut for them. Then I have the other half of their pen with pine shavings. They have been trying to eat the shavings so I have put paper towels on top of the shavings. I have to change the paper towels every hour or so. I tried taking photos of all of them together but they move too fast:) so I took a few separate photos.

2 days old! I just love them!
So cute!

Oh my gosh, they are so cute!

I read somewhere that once they learn what their food is and where to find it, they don't try to eat the wood shavings. Maybe try putting them directly on the wood shavings in another day or two? My first bunch was fine on wood shavings until they were 3 weeks old, then they started eating the shavings. I went to towels, and that was quite a mess at that age. Changed them twice a day for another week.

The second bunch I got, I tried putting on wood shavings right away, but they ate them like yours are. I freaked out and switched to towels until I put the little ones in the duck house (about 1.5 weeks old). The duck house had a dirt floor at that time. After all that, I found the insight that they just need to learn what their food is, so I did have a chance to test it out.

Now they are 5 and 6 months and sleep on wood shavings at night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom