*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

I have two runner ducklings, who are almost seven weeks old. They were both in a tub at the feed store labeled as Fawn and White Indian Runners, but one has a crest. Does that mean that he/she is actually a Bali duck?

I have two runner ducklings, who are almost seven weeks old. They were both in a tub at the feed store labeled as Fawn and White Indian Runners, but one has a crest. Does that mean that he/she is actually a Bali duck?
That's a good question. After doing a little research, I found that Balis are different from Runners because they are a bit chunkier and wider across the shoulders and have a crest. Some people say they are the same breed, but I believe they are only very closely related. I think any breed can have a crest, though. You probably have a Runner.

The crested duck is quite a bit larger than the non-crested. I thought that one was a drake and the other a hen, but when I vent-sexed the crested duck nothing popped out. Different breeds could be a possible explanation. I read somewhere that Balis had been crossed with Indian Runners to reduce health problems, so maybe I have a crossbreed.

The crested duck is quite a bit larger than the non-crested. I thought that one was a drake and the other a hen, but when I vent-sexed the crested duck nothing popped out. Different breeds could be a possible explanation. I read somewhere that Balis had been crossed with Indian Runners to reduce health problems, so maybe I have a crossbreed.
Maybe it's a Bali, then, or a cross of some sort. Does it look like a Runner in every way except it has a crest? If so, then it's probably a Bali or a cross between a Bali and a Runner.

Congratulations!
You have runners
1f600.png
Hi, i am wondering if you can help me or direct me to a site that can teach me about breeding for color genetics w/my runners? thanks you

Hi, i am wondering if you can help me or direct me to a site that can teach me about breeding for color genetics w/my runners? thanks you
What are you trying to achieve?
caf.gif

If you just want to hatch a bunch of very fun colors, get 3 different duck colors and the possibilities are infinite.
ya.gif

It will keep you guessing for a long time not to mention the duck math involved if you want to keep one of each color of the babies.
gig.gif

Ask me...I have 17 in the run and another 8 in the brooder and I am only playing with trouts.
lau.gif

I group runners into 3 man groups. Solid colors, the pied colors and the trout colors.
As for books, I like the Ashton's book as well as the one Dave Holderread wrote. Dave also has a small booklet on colors that you can buy from him. Just o to his website.
Have fun!!

What are you trying to achieve?:caf
If you just want to hatch a bunch of very fun colors,  get 3 different duck colors and the possibilities are infinite. :ya
It will keep you guessing for a long time  not to mention the duck math involved if you want to keep one of each color of the babies.:gig
Ask me...I have 17 in the run and another 8 in the brooder and I am only playing with trouts. :lau
I group runners into 3 man groups.  Solid colors, the pied colors  and the trout colors.
As for books, I like the Ashton's book as well as the one Dave Holderread wrote. Dave also has a small booklet on colors that you can buy from him. Just o to his website.
Have fun!!
Hi, I am trying to produce a penciled runner. do you know how to do that? Also, i am just having fun. I love the light colored runners. i think the silvers are beautiful. and i would love to produce an apricot.
these are the ducks i have:
2 f/w ducks
2 blue ducks
3 cocolate ducks
1 choco drake
1 blue drake
and these are the ducks (the above ducks) they have hatched out:
2 silver ducks
1 light choco duck
4 drakes (1silver, 2 blues & 1 blue/choco laced)
I checked out the book you suggested and a couple other sites. there is alot to learn, huh?
these are the 4 drakes they hatched
should i use this drake or not? i am thinking that since he is blue & choco i should not use him to breed back, what do you think?
this is one of my f/w ducks and the 2 silvers she hatched out, not sure who produced the 2 silvers? do you? could it of been my blues?
this is the light choco duck they hatched.

I sold 2 silvers and 3 blue runner ducks already.
When will my ducks get broody again? do you know? they are laying but not sitting. will they sit on eggs again this yr?
thanks for all your help.
p.s. @fowlman01 can you answer any of my Q's? i appreciate any comments or help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom