*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

I wish there where more shows in my area, or even my state. Last I checked there was only like 6 shows per year, and none are near me. I tried finding some 4H shows to take my children too, and I ended up getting some cranky old bat who was not very helpful. I filed a complaint and just stopped looking. :(

Is there no fowl/small animals association per state?

Is there no fowl/small animals association per state?
To be honest I'm not really sure. Every time I ask someone they just refer me the same national database. I'm sure there are smaller county fair type of shows, but they don't hold any near me I can find. Maybe calling our states department of agriculture might get some answers. I haven't tried that one yet.

My son is 6 and has his own chicken. He does very well with the birds, and dearly loves them. I think it would be great to get him in to going to shows.

To be honest I'm not really sure. Every time I ask someone they just refer me the same national database. I'm sure there are smaller county fair type of shows, but they don't hold any near me I can find. Maybe calling our states department of agriculture might get some answers. I haven't tried that one yet.

My son is 6 and has his own chicken. He does very well with the birds, and dearly loves them. I think it would be great to get him in to going to shows.

To be fair; I had a hard time to find one too. They are often run by 75+ yo people that are not internet savvy... so they are not on the internet. And the ways they are used to contact a crowd are dieing off. Had to get used to actually CALLING people I did not know to get the answers I wanted :') I'm in that age that calling people is a scary thing.. lol.

To be fair; I had a hard time to find one too. They are often run by 75+ yo people that are not internet savvy... so they are not on the internet. And the ways they are used to contact a crowd are dieing off. Had to get used to actually CALLING people I did not know to get the answers I wanted :') I'm in that age that calling people is a scary thing.. lol.
Okay, I won't give up on it just yet. :)
I'm a little intimidated about trying to show any birds, but even just the experience sounds like it would be fun. See all the pretty birds, talk with all the crazy bird owners. Go broke buying everything I can. (I'm weak when it comes to buying birds. @Miss Lydia can attest to that ;) )

I don't get the new quoting system after the make-over! Forgive me!

You should take him to a show. His beak is nice; you might get points off for the white ring on his neck; and the feet. Depends on the judge. Short legs or long legs differ per country. In my country you would get points off; in Germany too. The legs should be so long that the tailfeather should never be able to reach the ground. But other countries see this as something that gives you extra poins! So follow your heart what you like the most! (I see you are from Ireland; keep in mind judges are often flown in from other countries due to the lack of judges; so if they give plus or minus points for that; don't take it too seriously)
He has a really nice chest and overall build!

Long story short; YES take him to shows! People taking their animals to such shows are a dying breed; but parents and children and people with an interest to keep fowl are sky rocketing and visiting! We need more people that are willing to show; to keep it going in the future :)
Thanx I was chatting to a few big breeders here and they all said what u said the ring around his neck seems to b one of the bigger problems but they all said to take him to smaller shows and if he does well and I wanted to try in a larger show at the end of the year go for it

What can he say?:p mine finally just gave up saying to me you have too many birds, he now loves them same as me.
First it was Parrots and I kept them for a couple decades, meanwhile I got started in Quail and kept them for 11+ yrs (several aviaries had to be built) then 9 yrs ago I wanted chickens, (2 chicken coops were built) and now Duck areas would have to be constructed? :lol: He's not gonna like this... :th

We are actually in the process of getting the house and property ready for sale, so this is all dreaming for now. :)

Back
Top Bottom