Runner ducks 26 weeks old and still not laying

Adolfus Nile

Chirping
Jan 12, 2023
Title says everything. Not too worried about it but i got runner ducks from two sources, one of them started laying around 22 weeks and this other strain of runner seems like its never gonna lay.

I got a runner duck in August 2021 and 4 months later it still wasn’t laying despite probably being 7 months old. When she came down with a cough, I took her to the vet…as a side question I asked if there was any reason Bonnie wasn’t laying eggs yet. The vet did an exam at Bonnie’s vent and told me that she was starting to grow a penis! It took about 8 months for the transition…snd she/he even went through male puberty in the spring (bubba the drake was really surprised)…and the vet warned me that Bonnie (now Clyde) might be able to fertilize eggs. I had never heard of this before but read on the internet somewhere that if a duck gets sick and the single ovary is damaged, it will stop working…estrogen will not be produced and the duck reverts to a default gender!

Long story short…was your duck sick at any time that know of?

Still, 26 weeks still seems young…though I only have muscovies other than Clyde, so perhaps this is different in other breeds. My Muscovy duckling that hatched in late June and who I thought was a drake laid a big clutch in late December…Baby is a girl!

I got a runner duck in August 2021 and 4 months later it still wasn’t laying despite probably being 7 months old. When she came down with a cough, I took her to the vet…as a side question I asked if there was any reason Bonnie wasn’t laying eggs yet. The vet did an exam at Bonnie’s vent and told me that she was starting to grow a penis! It took about 8 months for the transition…snd she/he even went through male puberty in the spring (bubba the drake was really surprised)…and the vet warned me that Bonnie (now Clyde) might be able to fertilize eggs. I had never heard of this before but read on the internet somewhere that if a duck gets sick and the single ovary is damaged, it will stop working…estrogen will not be produced and the duck reverts to a default gender!

Long story short…was your duck sick at any time that know of?

Still, 26 weeks still seems young…though I only have muscovies other than Clyde, so perhaps this is different in other breeds. My Muscovy duckling that hatched in late June and who I thought was a drake laid a big clutch in late December…Baby is a girl!
That story is nuts! No the runners have never been sick.

😂 That is a WILD story, but most likely @Adolfus Nile your duck will start laying in spring. I’ve got 6 ducks who all happened to turn laying age during winter. Only 1, sometimes 2 lay an egg. Not concerning, they should all start laying normally in spring.

Last edited:
😂 That is a WILD story, but most likely @Adolfus Nile your duck will start laying in spring. I’ve got 6 ducks who all happened to turn laying age during winter. Only 1, sometimes 2 lay an egg. Not concerning, they should all start laying normally in spring.
Ah great. Wanted them to start laying so i could hatch some eggs

Back
Top Bottom