runner ducks

My3Cats

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
I am considering runner ducks. I hear they are good producers of eggs which is what I am looking for in a duck. How are they compared to larger breeds like muscovies in feed costs? Do they fly? Also do they require water to breed? Can they be kept in a lot with muscovies? How long a laying season do they have. Any help appreciated

I'm not an expert but from what I've read about them, runners lay around 100-180 eggs a year while a common duck like a peking lays 140-220 a year. If what you want is laying you should look into Metzer Farms golden hybrid layer, 200-290 a year, or just a white layer duck 200-290. I don't really look at egg laying when I'm looking for ducks, I look more at temperament and runner ducks are usually very nervous. The welsh harlequin is a calm, hardy breed that lays pretty well, 150-200 a year. The plain white layer is also fairly calm but lays better then the welsh harlequin. On average none of these breeds fly but muscovies nest in trees so they fly very well. Runner ducks will forge better then the other breeds, only topped by mallards but they don't lay well, and will eat less feed than others. Most duck breeds can breed out of water but due to the runners body shapes it may be harder for them.

First year with my runners, I likely had 300 eggs. Runners lay a ton of eggs.

My runners fly, but not much more than 6" off the ground and short distances. They really only try it in the morning on the way to their pond for their morning dip.
Mine have laid until the days got shorter and sometimes through the winter. As they got older, mine seem to take longer breaks and this last year through the winter. My Welch Harlequin just started laying again this week, so the runners shouldn't be far behind.
My first batch were friendly and the second batch are more aloof, but still eat out of my hands.

As far as feed in comparison to larger ducks, no clue, I have 3 runners and the WH.
A 50 pound bay of layer feed lasts me well over a month with 4 ducks and a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom