Running Eyes In Pullets

Rhode Island Rita

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
I've got five pullets who are somewhere around four months old. Yesterday I noticed that two of them have runny eyes; the girls in question are a Buff Orpington and a pullet who's either a production red or a RIR. Today I snagged some photos. The five of them sleep altogether in a coop, separated from my other chickens. The bedding I use is straw, and they eat an organic lay crumble. It's been really windy lately and the area we live in kicks up a lot of dust. Is it possible they've just got some dirt in their eyes and are having a reaction from that, or do you think it's something more sinister? I've only been working with chickens for under a year, and I've not seen this before. Any opinions, thoughts, or past experiences would be much appreciated.

G0erSl.jpg

RrINcl.jpg

Last edited:
It's possible it could be caused by blowing dust. You can flush their eyes with saline solution, then put terramycin eye ointment in them to prevent infection.
19157_n2j1.jpg

Quote:
I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Quote:
None so far. At the moment the only symptom is the running eyes. No discharge anywhere else, still eating and drinking, and healthy stool. I haven't noticed any sneezing or coughing either.

Edit: Also, thanks for the welcome!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom