Running Eyes In Pullets

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rhode Island Rita, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Rhode Island Rita

Rhode Island Rita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    I've got five pullets who are somewhere around four months old. Yesterday I noticed that two of them have runny eyes; the girls in question are a Buff Orpington and a pullet who's either a production red or a RIR. Today I snagged some photos. The five of them sleep altogether in a coop, separated from my other chickens. The bedding I use is straw, and they eat an organic lay crumble. It's been really windy lately and the area we live in kicks up a lot of dust. Is it possible they've just got some dirt in their eyes and are having a reaction from that, or do you think it's something more sinister? I've only been working with chickens for under a year, and I've not seen this before. Any opinions, thoughts, or past experiences would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's possible it could be caused by blowing dust. You can flush their eyes with saline solution, then put terramycin eye ointment in them to prevent infection.
    [​IMG]

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello, Rhode Island Rita, and welcome to BYC! I believe some respiratory conditions cause eye swelling and tearing. Do you notice any other symptoms?

4. Rhode Island Rita

Rhode Island Rita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Quote:I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Quote:None so far. At the moment the only symptom is the running eyes. No discharge anywhere else, still eating and drinking, and healthy stool. I haven't noticed any sneezing or coughing either.

Edit: Also, thanks for the welcome! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by