running out of grit too fast!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WildBilly, Feb 8, 2013.

1. WildBilly

WildBilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2013
    I feed my birds one handful of grit in the moring and one at night, the bag is emptying fast and it is costly, i use manna pro's grit any suggestions? i have 5 hens, 1 rooster 19 weeks old

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A 20 lb bag of grit at the feed store is something like $7. Buying feed or grit in tiny bags is rarely cost effective.

Unless one is feeding lots of scratch or similar hard grains, the need for grit is pretty low. A diet that is 100% bagged feed doesn't require any grit. A handful of grit, twice a day, as you are tossing seems a large amount.
    It may be that the chickens see this as some kind of food? What are you feeding them? How are you feeding them?

3. WildBilly

Feb 4, 2013
    I feed them one handful of grit in a small bag with a safety seal to close it, it is plastic so the bag wont rip. i have 6 birds, and i just wanted a better deal as far as cost goes or any suggestions on how to feed the grit? how should i feed the grit?

4. WildBilly

Feb 4, 2013
    I feed them treats like greens ,c abbage, strawberries occasionally so i want to use the grit.

5. WildBilly

Feb 4, 2013
    I found a better deal I now will instead buy the 25 lb. bag of manna pro grit instead of the 5 lb. bag of manna pro grit, thanks for your reccomendations on cost effective Fred's Hens

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Put the grit in a bowl or dish for them. That allows them to take what they need when they need it.

7. frigginchi

frigginchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    Saratoga, CA
    Buy playground sand. 2.75 a 50lb bag.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I use All Purpose Sand, it is a lot cheaper than regular poultry grit 2.98 a 50 lb bag.
    All Purpose Sand is courser and wont pack in the crop like Play Sand.

Chris

9. WildBilly

Feb 4, 2013
    thank you , i will consider the all purpose sand chris, and i like feeding in the dish, i haven't done either them, i just buy 5 pound bag of manna pro grit and feed in a handful I might just buy the 25 pound bag of poultry grit a better bang for my buck.

10. frigginchi

frigginchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    Saratoga, CA
    The playground sand we get over here is pretty coarse. I guess it depends on where you live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by