running out of grit too fast!

WildBilly

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
I feed my birds one handful of grit in the moring and one at night, the bag is emptying fast and it is costly, i use manna pro's grit any suggestions? i have 5 hens, 1 rooster 19 weeks old

A 20 lb bag of grit at the feed store is something like $7. Buying feed or grit in tiny bags is rarely cost effective.

Unless one is feeding lots of scratch or similar hard grains, the need for grit is pretty low. A diet that is 100% bagged feed doesn't require any grit. A handful of grit, twice a day, as you are tossing seems a large amount.
It may be that the chickens see this as some kind of food? What are you feeding them? How are you feeding them?

I feed them one handful of grit in a small bag with a safety seal to close it, it is plastic so the bag wont rip. i have 6 birds, and i just wanted a better deal as far as cost goes or any suggestions on how to feed the grit? how should i feed the grit?

I feed them treats like greens ,c abbage, strawberries occasionally so i want to use the grit.

I found a better deal I now will instead buy the 25 lb. bag of manna pro grit instead of the 5 lb. bag of manna pro grit, thanks for your reccomendations on cost effective Fred's Hens

I use All Purpose Sand, it is a lot cheaper than regular poultry grit 2.98 a 50 lb bag.
All Purpose Sand is courser and wont pack in the crop like Play Sand.

Chris

thank you , i will consider the all purpose sand chris, and i like feeding in the dish, i haven't done either them, i just buy 5 pound bag of manna pro grit and feed in a handful I might just buy the 25 pound bag of poultry grit a better bang for my buck.

Back
Top Bottom