runny nose in 9 week old hens

ubumartin

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Raynham, Ma
I have 4 nine week old buff orpingtons. They have been sneezingand clear runny nose for 2 weeks. I am not seeing any other symptoms. Eating, lots of energy and no drainage from the eyes. I am not sure what I should do with them. I have no other chickens to worry about as they are my only ones. Should I let it run its course of treat them? if I need to treat what should I use.

If you don't want to take them to a vet and prefer to treat them yourself you can get antibiotics from the local feed store or Tractor Supply. I have Terra Vet that I use. If you put it into the waterer, use 1 tsp per gallon. You can also get a product called Nutri-Drench. It's pretty good and perking them up when they're feeling poorly.

Be careful when you go places where other chickens or even other poultry are, because you can bring sickness home to your chicks without knowing it. Some people go to the feed store and handle all those cute little fuzzy chicks and then come home and handle their own. Then wonder how their chicks got sick.

Hope everything works out okay for you.

I would treat with tylan50 at that young age only use .10/cc a tenth of a cc. you can give it orally if you wish. or you can give by injection. its usually given in the breast but for chicks you can inject behind the neck. its up to use which method. my own birds just had the SAME symptoms as your birds. mine are 16 weeks. I chose to treat with Tylan50 in the breast. they are all clear now thank God ! Tylan does a great job. dose for a full 5 days. hope this helps you out. best wishes I hope they get better soon.

Back
Top Bottom