Runny nose

Hi all, bit of an update. Posted in another thread about my broody not doing too well. Vet thinks Pseudomonas. She is now on different antibiotics, but I'm wondering if everyone needs to be on them too? Everyone else is looking ok now, but obviously the broody was already a bit weak. I am having to force feed her food and drink twice a day plus med. The water includes multivitamins.

Is there anything else I should do? She's still on the nest and the vet thinks it will be too stressful to take her off atm. Do I need to be moving the rest away (not really an option, bleaching everything? How cautious do I need to be?

You could try giving her sugar in her water for extra energy, 3 tablespoons per quart of water. As long as she is eating and drinking she will be okay. If you have an incubator, I would break her up (take the eggs, force her to stop sitting). It wouldn't be near as stressful on her as continuing to sit on the eggs. You can brood the chicks yourself so they are not exposed to whatever is plaguing your flock. Otherwise, if you do not wish to force her out of broody mode or you don't have an incubator, still do the sugar water and vitamins/electrolytes. Keep her hydrated and fed and hopefully the medicine will kick in soon.

Glad your chickens are finally feeling better!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Runny noses are back again, and now there are bubbles in the eyes on one of them :-( vet has changed the antibiotics so hopefully it will work this time.

On the plus side the sick broody is doing a bit better, she eats and drinks a bit on her own now when I give her the medsame.

On the downside one of the new 'pullets' (who brought the infection in) has found his voice. Unfortunately I can't have roos where I am and because his cellmate is still sick he can't be re homed. So I think he'll be off to the vets next week :-( :-( :-(

Bubbles in the eyes are a definite sign of CRD. If the current antibiotics aren't working that's a pretty sure bet. Go to your local farm supply store and buy a bottle of Tylan 50 injectable and a small gauge needle like a 100 unit/1ml insulin needle. Give 1 cc in each chicken's breast muscle daily for 3 days.

How you administer the shot:
Draw up your injection prior to getting a hold of the chicken, as the medication is thick especially if it has been refrigerated and can take a while to draw out. Pull back the plunger on your needle and inject the vial with a full syringe of air. Flip the vial upside down and pull back the plunger to draw out the medication. It will fill the syringe slowly and this is normal. Have someone else hold the bird so you have access to the breast. You can do it by yourself by holding the bird's back to your chest to expose the breast. Make sure the bird is held securely so it doesn't kick or flap around. Feel for the breast bone or keel that runs down the center of the chicken's chest/belly. Pull back the feathers to reveal the skin and inject the needle at a 30-45 degree angle, a 1/2 inch or so away from the bone. Do not inject any deeper than 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch or so, most insulin needles aren't any longer than that anyway. Inject parallel to the breast bone. Treat with 1ml (equivalent to 100 units in an insulin needle) for 3-5 days but no longer. If you have several chickens to treat, it is good practice to fill the number of syringes you need with medication before you begin.

We just treated a Speckled Sussex rooster I bought to breed to our SS hens and I didn't notice he had any rattling and eye bubbles til after we got him home. We treated him with Tylan and now he is perfect. The symptoms went completely away. I swear by Tylan.. it is a staple at our house for CRD and is kept on hand at all times.

Good luck!

thumbsup.gif

Runny noses are back again, and now there are bubbles in the eyes on one of them :-( vet has changed the antibiotics so hopefully it will work this time.

On the plus side the sick broody is doing a bit better, she eats and drinks a bit on her own now when I give her the medsame.

On the downside one of the new 'pullets' (who brought the infection in) has found his voice. Unfortunately I can't have roos where I am and because his cellmate is still sick he can't be re homed. So I think he'll be off to the vets next week :-( :-( :-(

What antibiotics have you tried so far?

-Kathy

The vet has already given her antibiotics for pseudomonas.. the treatment isn't working. Not all vets are right all the time, just likes not all doctors are right all the time. I have a hard time taking any vet's or doctor's word as the final absolute truth. You live and learn my friend. Funny thing is, we have successfully treated numerous chickens through the years for the same symptoms without taking them to the vet. We treat with Tylan or tetracycline water soluble, and LS-50 for chicks and they get better. She has had her birds on SEVERAL antibiotics per the advice of her vet.. and yet they are still sick. No vet is going to point you in the direction of your nearest farm supply store and tell you to buy a bottle of Tylan to give to your birds because that's bad business for them. No repeat visits you see.
duc.gif

The vet has already given her antibiotics for pseudomonas.. the treatment isn't working. Not all vets are right all the time, just likes not all doctors are right all the time. I have a hard time taking any vet's or doctor's word as the final absolute truth. You live and learn my friend. Funny thing is, we have successfully treated numerous chickens through the years for the same symptoms without taking them to the vet. We treat with Tylan or tetracycline water soluble, and LS-50 for chicks and they get better. She has had her birds on SEVERAL antibiotics per the advice of her vet.. and yet they are still sick. No vet is going to point you in the direction of your nearest farm supply store and tell you to buy a bottle of Tylan to give to your birds because that's bad business for them. No repeat visits you see.
duc.gif
If it is pseudomonas, it's quite possible that the drug(s) prescribed won't work. Look at the pictures and tell me how many will work?

The bird in above was finally treated with Baytril (enrofloxacin) and recovered.

Number 2

This one was treated with Zactran (gamithromycin).

Number 3

This one was also treated with Zactran (gamithromycin).

Tylan (tylosin) would not have treated any of these birds.

-Kathy

@cheekychica , if you do decide to treat with Tylan, I strongly suggest that you consult with your vet on the proper amount to give, because all info I have read suggests that it should be given by weight.

Quote:
CRD indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.
Turkeys:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for two to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated turkeys must consume enough medicated water to provide 60 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

Another dosing source picture:
Source - http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf

If giving it by injection you should know that is can cause severe injection site necrosis, so please do talk with your vet before giving it.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom