Runny nose

@kfelton0002 - our stock feed places seem pretty useless for meds, they only seemake to have off the shelf care products. But I will ask if this round doesn't work as I'll be out of options!

@caspo - they did two rounds of doxycycline. The new round is amoxycillin clavulanic. I have about a weeks worth. Which will take us to when the chicks are due so it has to be sorted before then!

Thanks for the advice folks - I'll update soon.

PS roo spent the night in a box in the garage and it seems to have stopped the crowing. So far at least.

So did the vet actually do any testing to see what this is or is he just trying different things? It's a lot easier to know what meds to use if you actually know for sure what you are treating. When we had an outbreak several years ago my vet sent off blood samples and some other tests, don't remember what all, came back as infectious bronchitis. Otherwise all you can do is throw a bunch of meds at it and hope you hit the right one somewhere along the line. Testing also helps immensely in that you will know what to expect as far as recurrence, severity, carrier status, best management practices etc.

She said the vet told her her he *thought* it was psueudomonas. Not sure if she ever mentioned he actually did a culture. If and when he actually obtains positive cultures for pseudomonas or whatever I will be convinced. Just trying to save her all these vet bills if it was something she could take care of on her own. Vet visits are costly.

She said the vet told her her he *thought* it was psueudomonas. Not sure if she ever mentioned he actually did a culture. If and when he actually obtains positive cultures for pseudomonas or whatever I will be convinced. Just trying to save her all these vet bills if it was something she could take care of on her own. Vet visits are costly.

Yup, generally costs an arm and a leg to try to get a chicken diagnosed, been there, done that, not fun. But that's also why it's better to take a sample to send off immediately rather then keep going back and buying different meds. There is great potential for spending a lot of time and money and accomplishing nothing going that route.

I hear you @cafarmgirl! These chickens are costing me a small fortune! Luckily a local vet does it for the love of it. She charges about $10 an appointment (if that) plus meds. The downside is that she doesn't do the fancy stuff like xrays or lab work. You get referred elsewhere for that. The vet where I take my very complex and accident prone dog does all that but I rarely walk out with change from $100 just for a basic check up! I just can't financially justify that for the chickens. I know it sounds like I'm putting a value on them, and I guess I am. Which doesn't make me feel good! I'll keep going with meds, electrolytes and multi vitamins in the hope that it works. Otherwise I might have to make a tough call. Thanks again everyone.

Yup, generally costs an arm and a leg to try to get a chicken diagnosed, been there, done that, not fun. But that's also why it's better to take a sample to send off immediately rather then keep going back and buying different meds. There is great potential for spending a lot of time and money and accomplishing nothing going that route.
Absolutely agree 100%. It would be an absolute last resort for us though. We have been very fortunate not to run across anything so horrible that we can't take care of on our own so far. Veterinarians in our area do not specialize in poultry or birds and I'm sure they wouldn't even know where to begin in treating one. Hence my skepticism on veterinarians in general I guess. lol. Animal clinics around here are reserved for the typical pet and not livestock of any kind. We kind of have to learn from the "old timers" and fend for ourselves.

I hear you @cafarmgirl ! These chickens are costing me a small fortune! Luckily a local vet does it for the love of it. She charges about $10 an appointment (if that) plus meds. The downside is that she doesn't do the fancy stuff like xrays or lab work. You get referred elsewhere for that. The vet where I take my very complex and accident prone dog does all that but I rarely walk out with change from $100 just for a basic check up! I just can't financially justify that for the chickens. I know it sounds like I'm putting a value on them, and I guess I am. Which doesn't make me feel good! I'll keep going with meds, electrolytes and multi vitamins in the hope that it works. Otherwise I might have to make a tough call. Thanks again everyone.
I hear you cheeky. I don't think I would justify spending hundreds of dollars to treat any bird on my place. Luckily we have more than one of each strain/breed. Sadly the bird would more than likely get culled (don't hate me for saying that) if it had something that wouldn't respond to medications we have on hand. However, if all of our chickens were infected I would bite the bullet and get them cultured because of how much money we have tied up in them.. I'm talking thousands.. and thousands of dollars. lol I hope they start perking up soon!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I understand that completely. There have been a couple times when I've spent an arm and a leg on my birds at the vet and I do try to avoid that if at all possible and I treat as much as I can at home. Each of us can only do as much as we can do, there is always a limit. Another option you might look into, should you loose a bird, is getting a necropsy done. Check and see if your states poultry pathology lab does them for free, some do some don't. They will test for everything under the sun. Other then that there's nothing wrong with finishing their meds and seeing how they do. Depending on what they have they may get over it and you may not see another outbreak. Some of these things are worse then others in that regard. Good luck, hope they clear up for you!

And that is ONLY if it was something widespread that wouldn't respond to our standard meds (seeking veterinary treatment I mean). We cull heavy to cut out any weak stock so our birds are very healthy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom