Runny nose?

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
I was cuddling with my chickens when I noticed Blossom had a yellowish tinge beneath her nostril it looked slightly wet. I think it was under both not really sure. I’m wandering if this is normal?
3DCCE262-0681-4255-BD35-FFFE7669A865.jpeg
BDCD68D8-C522-495E-B7FB-6651F72E5DE9.jpeg
She seems active and normal. I haven’t noticed her acting different.

It looks like her nares are clogged. It may be an injury that is infected or it can be dried food. You need to wrap her snuggly in a towel so she can't flap and kick. If you have someone to help hold her still, it will make this much easier.

Have some hydrogen peroxide ready, Q-tips, A tooth pick with the sharp point sanded down and rounded off, a very thin oral syringe, and some Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment.

Have you ever noticed the nares (beak holes) on a chicken join and run all the way out the other one? You are going to dig out the crud in her nares so you can see all the way through them again. Be very gentle as the inside tissue is as fragile as the inside of your nose. Use the peroxide to soften the crust, then once it's clean, fill the syringe and lay the hen on her side and flush first one nare so it runs out the other side and then flip her over and do the other. You can put a cloth over her eye so the fluid doesn't get into it.

Then push a little ointment into each nare to treat for any injury or infection.

It looks like her nares are clogged. It may be an injury that is infected or it can be dried food. You need to wrap her snuggly in a towel so she can't flap and kick. If you have someone to help hold her still, it will make this much easier.

Have some hydrogen peroxide ready, Q-tips, A tooth pick with the sharp point sanded down and rounded off, a very thin oral syringe, and some Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment.

Have you ever noticed the nares (beak holes) on a chicken join and run all the way out the other one? You are going to dig out the crud in her nares so you can see all the way through them again. Be very gentle as the inside tissue is as fragile as the inside of your nose. Use the peroxide to soften the crust, then once it's clean, fill the syringe and lay the hen on her side and flush first one nare so it runs out the other side and then flip her over and do the other. You can put a cloth over her eye so the fluid doesn't get into it.

Then push a little ointment into each nare to treat for any injury or infection.
Thank you so much! She had so icky stuff in there I was shocked! She did pretty well and I got a ton of stuff out. She has been breathing through her mouth. I think I got most of it out I’m gonna maybe do more tomorrow if need be. Thanks again! Hopefully she can breathe better I would never have guessed!

Back
Top Bottom