Rural king chicks...questions... :(

farrier!

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Southern Illinois
I did go by the local Rural King. Chicks were at .75 a piece with a min of 25.

Some were huddling and a few were dead. They did have feed and water for them and lamps (not close enough?)
I was worried about buying chicks that looked cold. Was I worried too much or did I do the correct thing by waiting for my order to arrive?

in my opinion you could save some lives if you buy them and care for them properly. it IS a good thing that their minimum is 25, it prevents "novelty pets" from being bought and dying due to lack of care from owners.

I understand the urge to buy them to save them, but.........
Kind of like with puppy mills, buying them may save the puppies, but brings in more money for the 'breeder', so they keep on breeding, perpetuating the cycle. If no one buys the sick chicks (or puppies), it may prompt the store to take better care of their chicks and/or buy from healthier stock. Either way it's heartbreaking to see animals mistreated.

Last edited:
I bet ya alot of them at such a cheap price may be all roos or a very large percentile of roos vs pullets. Today we went to rural king and they only had four small bins of just pullets for 1..19 a piece i believe for Black Aussies and Buff Orps, no other breeds.

For that price, Iwould avoid them.....unless you dont mind getting alot of roos. LOL!

whenever i get roos i don't need i just eat them when they're size is acceptable.
hmm.png
that's what I would do anyhow...

I want to thank everyone for their comments.
If I did not already have chicks coming in 4 weeks I would try the cheap chicks.
I just wont have room if I do.

Back
Top Bottom