Rural King (Hoovers) Meat Birds Any Good?

ihatedarkroast

Songster
Sep 28, 2021
Martinsville, Virginia, USA
If you bought meat chickens from Rural King or Hoover's Hatchery:

1) What did you buy?

2) How did you like them and why?

I am very tempted to get some next time they're marked down after eating our tiny (yet terribly delicious) heritage rooster. I had no idea how rich and chicken-y a flavor a home grown bird would taste. I'm a little hesitant to go Cornish X though, as we don't always get around to processing when we think we will. I'd rather pick birds up in person from the feed store than order online, as it's more fun for the kids that way.

If you bought meat chickens from Rural King or Hoover's Hatchery:

1) What did you buy?

2) How did you like them and why?

I am very tempted to get some next time they're marked down after eating our tiny (yet terribly delicious) heritage rooster. I had no idea how rich and chicken-y a flavor a home grown bird would taste. I'm a little hesitant to go Cornish X though, as we don't always get around to processing when we think we will. I'd rather pick birds up in person from the feed store than order online, as it's more fun for the kids that way.
Overall, I’ve had good luck with cornish X from Hoovers/RK as well as BB turkeys
I stagger the cornish and process at different sizes/ages from 6-16 weeks in groups of 5-6 because we don’t have a plucker. Due to the shortage last year, I ordered directly from Hoovers and they were accidentally delivered to RK anyway :th

I bought a bunch of Cornish Cross chicks from both Orscheln and Tractor Supply and they were pretty much identical as far as growth and size went. I processed my last birds this morning but I let these last 8 go too long- at 14 weeks, their belly skin was tough and naked so I skinned them instead of plucking. We crockpotted a leg and thigh quarter from one of the bigger roosters on a bed of potatoes and carrots and it was excellent.

The earlier birds were processed at 8, 10 and 12 weeks so we have plenty of skin-on carcasses for me (I love the skin. I'm starting a breeding program to cross a Cornish X chicken with a Shar-Pei dog for the ultimate goal of a chicken that's mostly skin, and that will come when you call it). We have an upright freezer full of store-bought stuff like frozen vegetables and frozen convenience food and a chest freezer that is the size (appropriately) of a coffin. The chest freezer is nearly full of animals now; venison, wild hog, chickens, chicken parts, turkeys, varied sausages, etc. We call the chest freezer "Noah's ark".

This is part of today's work. They're resting in the fridge for a couple days to loosen up.

Attachments

• IMG_20220611_094813597_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220611_094813597_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220611_094800747_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220611_094800747_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220611_122326256.jpg
    IMG_20220611_122326256.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 8
Overall, I’ve had good luck with cornish X from Hoovers/RK as well as BB turkeys
I stagger the cornish and process at different sizes/ages from 6-16 weeks in groups of 5-6 because we don’t have a plucker. Due to the shortage last year, I ordered directly from Hoovers and they were accidentally delivered to RK anyway :th
Thanks that is helpful

Don't do it, I just ordered from hoover via tractor supply and most were dead upon arrival.
I got them yesterday morning at 5 am and 3 made it but not really doing well. They were in the mail less then 36 hours.
That is very sad...usually i just pick from the bin when they appear on sale. I havent tried ordering specifically yet so this is good to know

Back
Top Bottom