Russian Orloffs... PLEASE tell me they are girls!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by happyhens120, Sep 2, 2011.

1. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    These ladies are Spangled Russian Orloffs... they are about 14 weeks old. Beautiful, rare birds! But... I'm questioning (again) their gender. I was assured they were pullets, but they are unlike any other breed I have and I'm having a hard time with their gender. Are those saddle feathers forming, or is that typical for RO pullets/hens? Thanks for your help!! Also... if anyone of you are RO breeders and these turn out to be girls for sure, got any roosters to sell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I'll be honest: I don't know much about the breed, but they do look awfully "leggy" with thick legs and big feet, long too, for me to definitively say pullets. And it almost looks like saddle feathers... [​IMG]

I'm stumped.

3. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    3rd pic top chicken.. kinda looks like saddle feathers... but ..not sure they kinda remind me of that de uccle breed ( killed that spelling ) its a beautiful bird, if you don't want it ill take it!! [​IMG]

4. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    My Speckled Sussex gals have that kind of saddle feathers, so I will have to say those are girls!! [​IMG]

5. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    They are girls. The male Orloff is a much more mahogany color.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I guess.. Girls!

7. happyhens120

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:I am loving your confidence, and crossing my fingers that they are girls! [​IMG] Guess I will find out for sure when they either crow or lay! [​IMG]

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Beautiful birds. Where did you get them?

9. happyhens120

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:Thanks! I must agree! [​IMG] They are from my local Agway, but when I asked where the came from, the lady said from a breeder in Texas. Can't remember if it was Sand Hill Preservation Center or H and H Poultry. Both carry Spangled Russian Orloffs.

10. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Thanks! I must agree! [​IMG] They are from my local Agway, but when I asked where the came from, the lady said from a breeder in Texas. Can't remember if it was Sand Hill Preservation Center or H and H Poultry. Both carry Spangled Russian Orloffs.

Wow....our local Agway doesn't sell chicks anymore and TSC sells a very limited selection. What a great find [​IMG] I would have bought a bunch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by