Russian Orloffs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. kahlua

kahlua Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    NJ
    Thanks - I wasn't expecting to get GREAT quality birds, mine are from Ideal, but was hoping I would get at least a couple decent birds to work with. I will keep posting pictures as they grow.
    Here is another pic of the beardless wonder, if it helps.
    [​IMG]

The boy I posted above with a lot of white was VERY slow to feather in, compared to all the others. The down middle of his back is still bald.

2. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Finally getting some pics of my RO babies up on the forum page. I am so partial to this breed and excited to have starting breeding them!

[​IMG]
    This little (lady?) is 10 weeks. She is the first chick to hatch from my own flock. I love her beard/muff!

[​IMG]
    Again at 10 weeks.

[​IMG]
    Chicks at 7 weeks.

[​IMG]
    The Three Musketeers at 5 weeks. [​IMG]

3. NCSprout

NCSprout Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    Nice! It's good to see the Orloff becoming more popular. There is an attempt to organize breeders and enthusiasts in the hopes of establishing a group which aims to preserve and promote the breed. If anyone is interested in becoming involved and/or receiving the newsletters/forums written in regards to re-establishing a standard to present to the APA ,as well as set a common goal in breeding the Orloffs, then message me and I will get you on the list. If enough interest can be generated then not only could we help ensure the continued existence of the breed, but also improve genetic issues resulting from inbreeding and lack of genetic diversity.
    Take care and enjoy those birds. :)
    Ivy

4. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    Here are the two best cockerels I have held back from this year's breeding. These are 5-6 months old. Here is #12:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is #13:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. happyhens120

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Quite handsome! Do you sell hatching eggs or want to swap some?

6. happyhens120

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA

Thanks Ivy! I pm'ed you! :)

7. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    Maybe hatching eggs this fall. I have taken all the males out of the breeding pens for the summer. Need to give the hens a break, so many were getting bare backs. Not just the Orloffs, other breeds, too. And I don't want to hatch and try to sell chicks in the heat here--hardly anybody wants to start chickens here in the summer, just too hot!

8. happyhens120

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    True... it's hot here but nothing like AZ. Let me know in the fall if you want to do a swap. I only have two laying hens right now, so the most I can ship out is 6... How do your girls mind the heat?
    I've also started removing the roosters because of the bare backs of my girls. They seem to have a few special hens that they prefer.

9. kahlua

kahlua Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    NJ
    Happyhens, maybe in the future (once mine are old enough to breed) we can do a trade? At least we are kinda neighbors, so it'd save on shipping!!

10. happyhens120

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Yes that sounds great! Keep me in mind for when your girls are ready. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by