Ruth is a Mommy - baby pics posted.

ruth

Life is a Journey
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Woodville, MS
As most of you know, Ruth was one of my original chickens. Had crook neck, nearly died, lived to tell the tale.

I hatched a bunch of chickens in Feb. and March and now have a bunch of young roos. They all LOVE Ruth. Poor girl can't get a break. She hides out next door at duck house till evening when she comes running to me to put her back in coop by lifting her up to the roost cause if the roos see her they get her. Often, while running from them, she runs straight to me and jumps up into my arms. I feel for her and tell her it's cause she's so "purty". Thank goodness they aren't ripping her throat open like they did my two Buffs who fought them. I had to put several stitches in one's neck today.

Anyway, wasn't sure if young roos were making eggs fertile or not so I put a few of her green eggs in bator and after three days they are developing beautifully. Nice large spider web veins. I put in one egg each day this week so it will be exciting to see what hatches and a regular guess at "Who's the Daddy".

I'm thrilled to finally be getting my own fertile eggs and the first ones I'm hatching are my sweet Ruths. I wonder if she'll recognize them in any way?

Last edited:
O.K. I've been putting Ruth's egg each day in the bator, and each one is fertile so now I'm going to have a chick a day hatching. Only problem is now that I know her eggs are fertile I can't bring myself to eat them and I can't seem to stop putting them in bator. What to do? I really don't need a bunch of mutt chicks running around. I'm only doing this with her eggs. Everyone else's eggs go in fridge. She is so special to me. I never thought I would be acting this way.

Oh, I know how you feel! My Barred Rock hen, Lexie, has always been very special to me, as is her son, Zane. When I saw veins in my Blue Ameraucana, Charlotte's, egg and I knew it had to be fertile by Zane, I had to let it keep on growing. Both Zane and Charlotte are precious to me and now I have their daughter, Panda. Heck, every one is special with her own personality and quirks. But, like you, I dont need tons of mutt chickens running around here, either. Wish I was wealthy so I could keep all the ones I wanted to keep. :|

i konw i have become quite the picky egg collector as i dont need anymore mutts. 20 is enough i think. but its such a shame to waste a good broody? i may have to look into this whole buying eggs to hatch thing...

ruth you will have to be my go-to gal when it comes to finding someone with a certain breed since you have apparently ordered every breed of chicken hatchable and should know whom to contact. lol

clap.gif
Congrats
jumpy.gif

I'm so excited. Two of Ruth's babies have hatched. I could play "Who da daddy?" game but since they each look exactly like their daddy's who hatched Valentines Day, it's a given. The first has a Barred Rock Daddy and the second has the red Ameracauna Daddy. I do have a third little hatch, the solid black one, came from one of my Black Sex Link Hen's eggs.

Ruth's babies are the two that are together.

ruthsbabies.jpg

In this pic, they are on left and right.

ruthsbabies2.jpg

I have one more of Ruth's eggs in bator pippin and two of the BSL eggs.

It's so exciting to be hatching chicks from my own hen's eggs.

By the way, here's the unknowing mama, Ruth:

ruth41608b.jpg

And here are the daddys at hatch. Can you pick out "Who da daddy?"

babychixpix.jpg

Quote:
Yes, I put wet chick crumbles on bottom of brooder floor. I also put the chicks in there as soon as they hatch, to dry off, and they will start eating the crumbles before they can even lift their heads. It seems to be so instinctual to them. They're laying there, helpless, just hatched, still wet, still can't walk, but "hey, there's a crumble....guess I'll pick at it and eat it."

Back
Top Bottom