Pics

tigger19687

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 27, 2017
Metrowest- Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
@sab LOVE your Web cam !!! That is what I am looking for, something I can watch live, maybe even from my phone if there is an app that actually works.

I have tried a few el cheapo Amazon China cams but the app just didn't work :(

So what is it you have and how well do they work.

p.s. also love the bees ! You have the same hive I have. But I have no bees yet.

This could be a private msg but others may want this info too....

This can be complicated. If computers are a struggle for you then this effort is not for you. If you have an understanding of how the Internet works and the words "IP address" don't cause your eyes to glaze over then you can do this.... I can only tell you what I do.

1. You have to have high speed broadband - usually that's through cable or your phone service. I do not know if satellite Internet will do the job. I have Internet through my cable service and I have 400 Mb download / 40 Mb upload - unlimited. I am sure that is not available on a satellite connection. If you have adequate broadband then you are good to proceed.
  2. You need a router. Your Internet provider likely only gave you a modem or a combo modem/router. But likely that is not sufficient. I have gone through several routers and I am pleased with my whopper router -- it's sold as a gaming router. I use a Netgear Nighthawk R800. If you can set up a router securely (without using a password like LetMeIn) on your system then you are good to proceed.
  3. You need to extend that signal out of your house to your coop. Here's where your eyes will glaze over so hold on, you can do this.... You need a whopper extender. I used to use an Ayrstone system. (you can google all this). And that's how I got started. They have awesome tech support. They are also pricey. From them you will get what they call an Ayrstone HUB (extender, repeater) and an Ayrstone router. This is the easiest way to go because their tech support is beyond awesome. I used that for years. The system delivered flawlessly... until it doesn't. There will always be a catch that get's ya sometime or other. For example, I had my cat 5 cable going from the router to the HUB and had to join 2 sections of cable -- water got in and shorted the cable out. Had to get a new HUB too. It's never easy.
Do you want to know more or have I lost ya?? Are you still watching the cameras? I'll send you a message.... sorta....

LOL, I have Fios, GB connection so I am good, Semi- puter geek so you have not lost me. My router is about 20-30 ft from the coop so I may be good. Plus the router has 2.4 and 5 GHz. So I may not need an extender, that will tell when I do it all.

Great description BTW !!

Ok, What cameras do you have ?

and yes I am watching the cam, one moved but I didn't see how it moved as I was watching the Weather guy for a minute. Was that a Maran egg ?

Did I say this is not cheap? It's not cheap...
If you were watching the cameras you saw that I moved them -- yes, you can move them.

To continue with No. 3. I have come to learn that Ayrstone builds on a system just like the one I now use and it's very very very much cheaper. I use a nano station from Ubiguiti https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostation-ac/ This might not be the exact one. But it's not complicated. This site sends my eyes into glaze-over mode. You have to have that station placed outside your house and up very high -- mine is on an extended PVC pipe up at roof top level. You have to run cat5 cable from your router to your extender. If you aren't lost, you are good to proceed.

4. The rest is port-forwarding and setting up a DDNS service. And of course the cameras. I use Foscam and Sharx cameras.

I'm stopping for now. If you want to know more, I can continue. But gotta eat some breakfast before I pass out. Hope this helps.

If your coop is that close you might get away with just an indoor extender placed at the end of the house the coop is closest to. That would be cheap and yes it would work great. You would then skip to the incomplete #4. in my list. That egg is not a Maran. I just have some girls that lay dark. Do you understand the DDNS and port-forwarding statement? If so, we are light years ahead. Let me know your understanding and I will come back to this shortly. For others, I can develop a more detailed description of any part of this.
Sally

We were planning to get a wireless extender shortly! How far is your coop from your house? Ours is about 300ft, and we're concerned that we won't find anything that will actually go that far.

We were planning to get a wireless extender shortly! How far is your coop from your house? Ours is about 300ft, and we're concerned that we won't find anything that will actually go that far.
We have little under 6 acres here and my system covers almost all of it....

LOL, that was a dark egg !

I have not done, but do get the DDNS & porting forwarding.
But should be able to understand it.

i am sure there are others that would like this too.
I need to set up 4 cameras, 1 coop, 2 run, 2 others on the front yard to watch shitty neighbor kid ! :rant

Back
Top Bottom