Sacramento City Council is voting!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by HHandbasket, Nov 15, 2010.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

The Sacramento City Council is convening tomorrow afternoon to vote on the chicken ordinance. While I do not live in the city limits, I fully support legalization of chickens within the City of Sacramento. If anyone here in Sacramento can go to the council meeting tomorrow (Tuesday 11/16/10) at 3 p.m. to support the issue, please do so! I would go, but I have to work.

2. undercoverchickenlover

undercoverchickenlover Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2010
    Hey there, what was the result of the vote?

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

The issue was continued to the next session. There are apparently a handful of city council members holding out simply because they "don't like the idea" of people having chickens in their yards. I guess they haven't figured out yet that about 40,000 Sacramento families already have chickens in the city limits & that they're bypassing a huge opportunity here to generate some revenue by asking citizens to pay a nominal fee for a permit to keep the birds they're already keeping. If you ask me, that's a win/win. The citizens that live in city limits get to be legal with their birds, and it could generate enough revenue to save 1 municipal job by issuing permits. One job saved in this city is a plus if you ask me, because jobs in Sacramento are disappearing faster than the polar ice caps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by