Sad day today...

So very sorry for your loss
sad.png
...I lost my sweet Partridge Cochin this week to a Coopers Hawk. It was AWFUL!!! I know exactly how you feel. Each day will get a little better. God Bless.

Last edited:
I know how you feel... All the ones you like the most dies first (happend to me many times), it's almost to good to be true when you love a certain chicken..

Why drown it? That's prob the worst way to go, should of just shot it in the head quick death.. (Not trying to sound sick by any chance)

Last edited:
Quote:
I know it wasn't the best choice but I'm a young teenager who was home alone so I couldn't use my gun, I didn't want to have to deal with something more bloody, all my supplies were right there, and he was so limp already that I figured it'd be easiest....

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

do you leave the door to the pen open so they can come and go as they please?

Yes but I close them in at night.​

Thank you ALL for all the support and suggestions. I will for sure be on high alert and I wont let my chickens free range for a little while.

Sorry for yoy loss.Get a hatchet from harbor freight or wherever.One chop.Very quick.

In future, if no hatchet/gun/etc, the broomstick method is quick and much more humane for the bird than drowning. You just put the bird on the ground, set a stick/broomstick over its neck, stand on each end of the stick and pull up on the feet. breaks the neck, quick and easy.

That said, I am sorry for your loss..
sad.png
I've lost one bird this year to a hawk. I hope the predator moves on after seeing there's no more free lunch!

Back
Top Bottom