Sad loss today

coolcanoechic

Songster
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Raymond, New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
I have been building a chicken coop and run for the last 3 months in anticipation of receiving 3 or 4 hens from my brother around the corner from me. I know. It is a weekend warrior project, so it is taking a very long time to finish. Anyway, he called me this morning to tell me that they were all gone. Something managed to get inside the coop and killed every last one of them. He said he didn't see any blood, but it was dark out this morning when he went to check on them and open the coop door.
Something had dug into the run and managed to get the coop door open. It also tried to drag one of the hens out through the hole it dug to get in, but the hen was too big to fit through. He lost one roo and 10 hens. By what he describes, the hole is small, and if there is no noticable blood, I think it might be a weasel or fisher cat. We have many fisher cats in this neighborhood. More than once, I have seen one in my back yard at the end of the day.
I will be heading over there in an hour or so to help him clean up the mess. I will have a better idea of what happened after I see it for myself. He is feeling really bad about it right now and knows now that he should have done a better job of making the coop predator proof. I will give him a hug and help him beef up his coop and run before he tries to have chickens again. That is what sisters are for :)
On another note, my coop will be finished by next weekend, and there will be no girls to call it home...... :-( I cannot raise baby chicks, because my hubby and I both work all day. My best hope is to search my area for anyone who might sell pullets. If anyone knows where I can get three pullets or hens in Southern NH, I would really appreciate the help.
Thanks all.....I love this site.
Nancy

Hello! So sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and your brother. I do think you can raise chicks even if you work all day. I do. You just need a sturdy brooder with a lid, and water and food that they can't tip over, along with a very safely hung brooder lamp.

It can be done. I've done it for years. Get yourself some chicks!

Sharon

Hi coolchic, I lost 4 hens to a weasel last week, got in through a coop door that wasn't closed tightly. Of course my breeding stock for next year! Pass on my condolances to your brother.

Try posting on your state thread, or often people can find chickens on craig's list. Be very careful to check them for mites.

Last edited:
Quote:
State thread? I'm a newbie, so I'm not really sure what you are talking about.
hu.gif

So sorry to hear this. Having lost my three to a raccoon last week I know how it feels. I feel like I'd guaranteed them that I'd protect them, and through my inexperience I failed them, but I've learned a lot from it.

I spent the weekend turning the chickens home into a fortress (replaced chicken wire with hardware cloth, covered up any openings, etc.) and we'll start over with some new birds tomorrow.

coolcanoechic,
So very sorry for your loss. Welcome to BYC, wish it was under better circumstances. You can search the "User List" above, and look for folks in your state. Lessons learned the hard way are usually remembered well.

Last edited:
so sorry about your brothers heavy loss and yours too. building a better coop/predator safe is the lesson here. so sorry. you'll get some chickens, i am sure. so sorry again.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom