Sad news about wonderful Georgie

Sk8inChick(en)

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2011
This is Sk8inChick(en)'s mom, with news about one of my daughter's beloved Brahmas, Georgina, affectionately known as Georgie. You may remember the fun saga last year, when Georgie kept us guessing as to her gender, right until that first amazing egg. It was a very happy and exciting day when she let us know she was a girl! Here is a picture of Georgie right after she laid that egg, obviously a very proud pullet!

Also, Georgie was featured here on BYC as picture of the week several months ago.
BackYard Chickenschicken pics & info › The Brahma Girls

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-brahma-girls

My daughter had wanted chickens for years, and we finally gave in when she was 16, and got 2 little Brahmas from Cackle last spring. She raised them with great love and care, and spends time with them every day. She has a very tender heart for all creatures, and they received the best care possible.

Late this afternoon she stepped out to check on them in their coop, and came running back inside immediately, crying out that Georgie was laying on her side not moving. It has been hot today, so we scooped her up and brought her in the house where it was cool, but she was already gone. She could not have been dead very long, as we were out in the yard and my daughter was hand feeding them treats a few hours earlier. Georgie laid an egg yesterday, and acted vigorous and completely normal today.

We took her to the avian vet this evening after she died, and discovered her vent looked prolapsed and not right. The vet did an exam and felt a hard mass, about the size of an egg near her vent. As far as the vet could tell from an external exam, there was no sign of contagious disease of any kind. With much sadness, we left her to be cremated.

Kitty is looking all around the coop for her best friend, and my daughter is heartbroken, she loves these birds so much. We are not sure what to do next, but I wanted to share this here. This is such a supportive community, I know you understand how special these girls can be.

I'm sorry about Goergie. It's so sad. Poor Kitty. I'm sure you all are keeping her company, but you may want to get her some chicken companionship. If you get a pullet you will need to quarantine for a month to make sure she has no communicable diseases. If you get a few chicks you might be able to rig some divider where Kitty can see them but not touch them until they are old enough to be with a full grown chicken.

They will come and go if you keep on keeping chickens, unfortunately. I also have a Georgie, a 4 yr old Delaware hen. It's so hard to lose them when they go, but the alternative to me is worse--to never have those sweet souls in the first place. I have chicken footprints all over my heart from all the wonderful hens and roosters who have come and gone from my life. I just remember each one, their faces, eyes, voices, quirks, etc. They have enriched my life immeasurably.

RIP, sweet Georgie.

Oh no! It is always hard to lose a pet and even harder to watch the animals that are left behind. I would suggest trying to find another pullet that is approx. 10 weeks old. It will be old enough to introduce but still young enough that the "newbie" won't really fight for dominance. Best of luck to you and your daughter. Time heals all wounds.

Sorry for your daughters loss
hugs.gif

Oh no! It is always hard to lose a pet and even harder to watch the animals that are left behind. I would suggest trying to find another pullet that is approx. 10 weeks old. It will be old enough to introduce but still young enough that the "newbie" won't really fight for dominance. Best of luck to you and your daughter. Time heals all wounds.
Thank you for your thoughts and advice. That is the tricky part now, where to find a new friend for Kitty. She sounded like she was crying this morning, she wouldn't eat, and just stood staring in the corner of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom